PDA

View Full Version : Bernadelli 1841 Mississippi Without a "W" Bolster

Lost Texan
03-13-2012, 02:50 PM
Hello, I am totally new here. I have shot a lot of blackpowder weapons but am not an NSSA member.I have been told, and verified it by looking into the NSSA regulations that ONLY a Bernnadelli M1841 with a "W" on the bolster is allowed.I am told this is because the non-"W" bolster Bernadellis are brazed and might explode. How common is this occurrance?Thank you for any repies.

John Holland
03-13-2012, 03:35 PM
Hello Lost Texan, and welcome tothe N-SSA's bulletin board!

You are correct about the bolsters on the Bernadelli Mississippi Rifles. The "W" stamped on the face of the bolster means the bolster is of welded construction. The very first Bernadellis submited to the N-SSA for Production Aproval had bolsters that were brazed to the barrel. The Small Arms Committee and the Board of Directors thought that a brazed bolster presented too much of a potential issue. Bernadelli then changed their process to have the bolsters welded onto the barrels.

For your other question, how much of a problem are the brazed bolsters? We really don't have much experience with that because we do not allow them to be used in our competitive matches. But, I will say I did see one without the "W" that ruptured last year. The brazing fractured at the back side of the bolster and blew hot gasses and fouling back into the shooters face. It burned his forehead pretty good.

Any other questions, just ask!

John Holland
Chairman, Small Arms Committee

Lost Texan
03-13-2012, 04:56 PM
Thank you sir for the reply. Gases in in the forehead probably interfere with the aiming process a bit...:D

matt
03-13-2012, 08:39 PM
Not only the aiming process but anything you might want to see ever again. Always wear some sort of eye protection.
Matt
Winslow's Battery D 1st NY LT Artillery 9775v

Southron Sr.
03-15-2012, 01:36 AM
WOW! Your post brought back some memories. Those Berandelli Mississippi Rifles were beautiful. Unfortunately Bernadelli went bankrupt many years ago and the gun making machinery was sold to a gun factory in Turkey at the bankruptcy sale.

When those Mississippi Rifles first came out, the bolsters were blowing off on a regular basis. I remember some Skirmishers were hurt by flying bolsters, gas, etc.

Google "Whitaker Machine Shop, Whitaker, VA." If you send your Mississippi barrel to Danny Whitaker, he can install you a new Mississippi Breech, one that has the bolster as part of the breech section; so there is absolutely no danger of it ever blowing off. That way, your barrel can be saved. This is also a lot cheaper than buying an entirely new barrel.

Good Luck

hawkeye2
03-15-2012, 11:19 PM
I am assuming you are refering to the Bernadellis from the 1960s. Circa 1985 Navy Arms sold off a lot of Bernadellis for about $175.00. I don't recall seeing one of these with a "W" for welded on the bolster and never saw evicence of a brazed bolster on any of them. I have one though I swaped out the barrel many years ago for unrelated issues. They were not approved for dimensional reasons. The forearm needed to be lengthened about 1/8" and a short front band fitted with the band spring moved to accomidate the change. I added a bayonet lug, long range rear sight, and correct front sight for the version I wanted. At this point they could be submitted for individual approval and I knew several people who did so. These barrels were .58 cal with multi groves and shot quite well. The locks were unmarked other than an eagle over US and were case hardened. It has been quite a while and I could be wrong but I swear that I do not remember a "W" on any of these.