PDA

View Full Version : The Rifle Shoppe

Phil Spaugy, 3475V
02-09-2009, 07:30 PM
I am considering ordering some parts from the Rifle Shoppe and want to see what kind of service and quality of parts they offer.

Phil

threepdr
02-09-2009, 09:50 PM
Phil,

They are nice folks and have great products....if you can get the parts. I have ordered parts from them off and on through the years. Rule of thumb is, order only what they have in stock at the time, or parts which have a high turn over rate. They are not good at having the parts cast quickly (they don't do the casting themselves.) or following up on orders, especially for the more obscure or low demand items.

I ordered an Enfield hammer and a long brass Enfield trigger guard for my Cook and Brothers rifle back in December 2007. The hammer was in stock and came immediately, the trigger guard still has not shown up. I gave up asking about it after six months.

This is pretty much on par with my other experiances with them.

kb466
02-10-2009, 12:10 AM
I ordered a complete parts set for a M1795 Springfield from them back in November, 2008. They have been very pleasant to deal with on the phone. When I first talked to them, they had the parts in stock. A month later, when I had the money in hand, they were sold out. I still ordered the parts from them. I have not received them yet. From what people told me, I did not expect to receive them quickly, though I would surely like to receive them soon. Let's hope they restock them soon.

As to the qualty of their parts, everything I have seen has been quite nice and seemingly accurate in dimensions. Remember that these are castings and you will have to do the final finishing to "clean them up". You may have to harden, temper or otherwise heat-treat the metal as needed.

Phil Spaugy, 3475V
02-10-2009, 07:45 AM
Thanks to all, thats just the input and info I needed,

Phil

geezmo
03-03-2009, 12:46 PM
Phil,
Their stuff is great if you can get it. I ordered parts back in August 2007, on a credit dard. They sent about 60% of my order, in about two weeks, and only billed me for what they delivered. Since I haven't paid for the remainder, and can't get any information from them on if or when the remainder would be available, I've given up on them. They don't answer the phone, and don't return phone messages or emails.
Barry

kb466
03-03-2009, 01:38 PM
I had heard that they were hard to get hold of-- that they did not answer emails, or take calls, etc. However, that was not my experience. They answered my emails and they have taken my calls. Admittedly, a couple of times they did not answer their phone early in the morning, but a later call always was answered.

That being said, I am still waiting for my M1795 parts set that I ordered and paid for back in November. I would like to get it soon, but I guess these long waits are nothing unusual with the Rifle Shoppe. From what I have been told, everyone gets their parts, you just may have to wait quite a while for them. At least I hope that is the case.

Southron Sr.
06-01-2012, 12:41 AM
I ordered some parts for my replica Palmetto Musket from The Rifle Shoppe.

Amazingly, the parts I ordered from them showed up in my mail box only a little over a year later. In other words, for The Rifle Shoppe that is their special "Lightning Quick" order delivery service.

I was one of the lucky ones!

OregonBill
06-01-2012, 09:30 AM
Phil, these guys have the most baffling business model in the United States. Some people wait years for their parts, yet The Rifle Shoppe keeps its doors open ...

John Holland
06-01-2012, 10:38 AM
Ya'll realize you are responding to a post that is over 3 years old?

Dave Fox
06-01-2012, 04:13 PM
Three years is a heartbeat's time for a Rifle Shoppe customer. I waited that long for a Burnside part otherwise unavailable. Since it's been installed, though, it works perfectly.

rachbobo
06-01-2012, 05:50 PM
I suppose that if you run a small business in a highly selective area of products you can get swamped with orders.
I have dealt with different barrel makers, round ball and the type we use and they all say the same thing. They are swamped with orders and are doing the best they can to keep up.
Orders that I have placed have come through quickly and some I have been waiting on for months.
Think what you will about them, but I'm glad they are there to try to keep up with our demands.

Bill Cheek
Cockade rifles

OregonBill
06-01-2012, 06:39 PM
John, there is indeed a delicious irony in a three-year-old thread on The Rifle Shoppe's turnaround time. I am sure they regularly hear from customers' widows that the orderer died some time back ...

kb466
06-24-2012, 10:45 PM
I noticed this thread has been revived, so I thought I would update all on my experience with the M1795 parts set. As noted above, I ordered my parts set in November 2008 and received it a little over a year later in early 2010. After receiving it, I ordered a bayonet for it. It was also not in stock, and they said it would be about 90 days backorder. I received it in 30 days. All things considered, I am very happy with the parts set. It is the only 1795 on the market that looks like, or will look like a M1795 in my opinion. The barrel and stock are particularly nice on my set. I haven't started building it yet, but it is next in the lineup for building. In fact, I am so pleased with it, I just ordered a parts set for a Pattern 1756 Long Land Pattern "BrownBess". They told me that it would be in their next foundry order and that I should expect it in six to eight weeks-- we'll see...
Bill Moyers

Southron Sr.
06-25-2012, 04:04 PM
Channel 13 TV News, W-MAZ had an interesting story on the local news show the other night. Seems that a large shipment of Model 1842 Musket Parts, ordered by the Macon Armory in September of 1863 from The Rifle Shoppe on a "Rush Order" basis, has just arrived at the Macon Post Office!

So, IF you have some parts on order from The Rifle Shoppe, don't despair-they always deliver sooner or later.