PDA

View Full Version : 451 round ball for volunteer rifle?

B-Davis
03-10-2012, 01:53 PM
So, I finally got out to the range yesterday with my Parker-Hale Volunteer rifle. I have a platinum nipple on order, but the load I am using is low enough,that it did not burn out the nipple. I am using the lyman whitworth bullet, that I believe is 475 grains. The best results I got with the rifle were at 68 grains and 70 grains of 2f. Both of these charges combined with a wonder wad soaked in olive oil gave me clover leaf groups at 100 yds. I was quite happy! Now, I feel confident to take out the rifle out for shilouette matches at 200 yds. +
My question is when I was sighting in at 50 yds, and I aimed at the bullseye, the rifle shot about 8 inches high. I am curious, if I used a pistol round ball that was casted at .454 and sized down to .451 would this work? I am aware that I would have a "belted" ball. I am just wondering if this bullet would work with say a wonder wad between it and the powder and a reduced charge? I am curious on several fronts: 1) Saving powder and lead. 2) Would the point of aim lower at 50 yds? 3) How accurate would this be? 4) Would it be viable enough if all other factors worked, would it kill a deer?
Inquiring minds want to know!

Bryan Davis

Greg Ogdan 110th OVI
03-11-2012, 07:21 PM
Bryan, There is only one way to find the answers to your questions. All of us in the N-SSA just shoot conicals in our muskets. You're going to have to go to the range and do some testing.