PDA

View Full Version : Sharps tip

Dave Fox
03-10-2012, 08:40 AM
Mr. Hahn recently did an intermediate modification of a NM1863 Sharps carbine I acquired in 1960. For the first time it's a pleasure to shoot. In loading Rapine ringtails into Charlie's cartridge tubes a problem was encountered. The bases of the bullets were often a tad ragged, due in part to melted lead smearing a bit under the mould's sprue cutter plate. This made loading the bullets into the tubes problematical. I initially filed the edges of the bullet bases, which then tended to be somewhat irregular. Solved the problem by running the bullet bases into a .452 sizing die. The base comes out even, slightly tapered, and much more easily inserted in the cartridge tubes.

Greg Ogdan 110th OVI
03-10-2012, 09:00 AM
Hey Dave, am I going to see you at the April Fools shoot in Statesville?

ian45662
03-10-2012, 09:36 AM
That's a great idea. I had the same problem as you so I took the stem of the sizing die that I use to a machinist who made a bowel I guess you could say that would size the ringtail down as I ran the bullet through the luberesizer. Only poroblem sometimes the bullets were a little hard to get out of that little bowel. I took a bullet to the machinist so he could get the measurements or the ringtail so that he would know how deep to make it and what diameter

Dave Fox
03-10-2012, 03:19 PM
Hey Dave, am I going to see you at the April Fools shoot in Statesville?

I'd like to attend. What's the date?

Ken Hansgen, 11094
03-10-2012, 05:48 PM
Dave, Have you thought about what you just said? Or were you just FOOLING around? It's March 30-APRIL 1!!! There's also a skirmish there the weekend of March 16-18.

Greg Ogdan 110th OVI
03-10-2012, 05:59 PM
Hey Ken, You coming over? The April Fools is always a good time. I think my unit will have a full Musket squad there. These guys shoot Mortars too!

John Holland
03-10-2012, 06:02 PM
Here is the link to the skirmish schedule http://www.n-ssa.org/n-ssa-activities/2012-event-schedule.html

JDH

Ken Hansgen, 11094
03-10-2012, 11:43 PM
Won't be there this April Fools. Will have an N-SSA Recruiting Station at a 150th Shiloh reenactment that weekend--also leading a Shiloh tour. Coming to Spring Natls.,tho'.

Dave Fox
03-11-2012, 09:39 AM
Dave, Have you thought about what you just said? Or were you just FOOLING around? It's March 30-APRIL 1!!! There's also a skirmish there the weekend of March 16-18.

I presumed the "April Fool" referenced the participants.

Greg Ogdan 110th OVI
03-11-2012, 06:27 PM
Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! Don't tell anybody! We all think we're normal. Seriously, If you haven't seen a Skirmish yet, you really need to. And if you're looking for a team, most all of the Carolina region teams will be there. You might even meet Bootsie. ( He's not normal, though.)

Dave Fox
03-11-2012, 07:48 PM
Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! Don't tell anybody! We all think we're normal. Seriously, If you haven't seen a Skirmish yet, you really need to. And if you're looking for a team, most all of the Carolina region teams will be there. You might even meet Bootsie. ( He's not normal, though.)

I participated briefly in an Illinois N-SSA team before going to college, circa 1960-61. Attended a shoot at the fort in the 1980s as a correspondent for "Camp Chase Gazette". Am retiring soon so: who knows. Am a friend of Ron Goodrich, now of Rutherford County, who should be at Statesville.