PDA

View Full Version : Sharps & Hankins Naval Carbine (1862 model?)

Jim Barber
03-07-2012, 09:28 PM
What a strange gun. Like a Maynard with a glove already attached for your protection. I have a potential line on one of these, an unmolested original, and have a few questions for the Omniscient Group. First, are these approved for competition (as an original model; assuming it's not broken, it's original, and safe to shoot) second, are there any N-SSA shooters who shoot one of these? Third, I gather they were originally rimfire-- is there a readily available fix to kick them over to centerfire? And finally, any idea what a fair price is for one with sound mechanics, good stock, marginally serviceable original leather barrel-covering and probably in need of a re-line? That's the condition I'm looking at. Whether I can blast away at the backstop in competition or not, it's such a quirky gun I might just have to buy it if the price is very fair.
Sailor on watch: "This salt air sure is hard on the barrel! Seems like I'm always in hot water over my barrel not being bright n shiny. I got an idea: what if we covered it in LEATHER so's noone could see how dingy it really gets?" Anyway, it sure seems unique to me, and if anyone could direct me to additional info on the genesis of this odd duck, I'd be very appreciative. The interwebs seem to be full of two-paragraph descriptions and rather lacking in useful, in-depth history.

Cheers!
Jim B.
110th OVI

ps: I know somewhere on the site I've seen a long, exhaustive list of approved arms; forgive me for asking elemental questions about SAC stuff. I found the list of approved repros but couldn't locate the original arms stuff. Sigh. I know I've seen it here someplace...

rachbobo
03-08-2012, 04:47 AM
Gundersonmilitaria.com lists one for $1,150. It's listed as in good condition with a light coating of rust and was made with no provision for leather on the barrel.
Centerfire conversion, well without seeing it I won't comment but for the rich people Dixie Gun Works sells cases that uses a .22 blank as a primer for around $6 a pop.

Bill Cheek
Cockade Rifles

Jim Barber
03-09-2012, 12:22 AM
Bill, thanks for the info-- gives me a better feeling for the gun's value. I've dug about some more and supposedly this model shoots the same load as a Spencer (there was evidently all sorts of changing up of cartridge sizes going on ~1863? so closer inspection would be required to determine the proper cartridges, etc.)
Anyway, I might just buy the S&H in the morning. Good to have mechanics specials around the house-- idle hands (particularly mine) are... well, you all know the rest of that one.

Cheers,
Jim B.
110th OVI

Dave Fox
03-09-2012, 05:44 AM
Peter Schiffers in his superb "Civil War Carbines, Myth vs. Reality" found the S&H to be the most accurate of the eleven Union carbines he extensively tested.

sgttater
03-10-2012, 02:22 PM
I have a Sharps & Hankins that I purchased several years ago for $800 that has an excellent bore and mechanics. It was was converted to center fire by Richard Schoenberger of Cincinnati, Ohio. I subsequently obtained approval for his conversion process from the NSSA small arms committee. If you do not know him, Richard is an excellent and clever gunsmith, and a fine human being. He can be reached at 513-574-7342. If you ever want to converse on your gun workup feel free to contact me at northvajim@aol.com.

Jim ("Tater") Carr
13th Confederate Infantry

Jim Barber
03-12-2012, 01:33 AM
A sad day in Mudville-- it sold before I could get my filthy mitts on it, and for a lot less than I would have paid. I'm gonna keep my eyes peeled, though I think I missed the deal o the year on that gun. Still a bit sick over it!
Jim, thanks for the info-- I'm in Cincy about every weekend. If I round up another of these rare birds I'll give Mr. Shoenberger a call!

Cheers,
Jim B.
110th OVI

rachbobo
03-12-2012, 10:53 AM
Jim,
You can always go to Gundersonmilitaria.com to check out the one they have for sale.
On the opening page of their web site click on antique longarms then scroll about half to three quarters down and look for Carbines.
I know nothing about it's condition but it has been there for at least 3-4 years.
I have bought from them many times in the past, always happy with what I got from them.

Bill Cheek
Cockade Rifles

Bruce Cobb 1723V
03-14-2012, 09:50 AM
If you go to the Baltimore show this weekend please stop by and see me at "D6" I have collected them for awhile and may be able to stear you to one.

Jim Barber
03-23-2012, 06:06 PM
Bruce,

Thanks for the offer! A bit of irony: I'm actually headed to DC for spring break w. the family NEXT week. A day late and a dollar short seems to be my theme so far this year. FWIW, the one I had my eyeball on sold for $425...still makes me weep when I think about it. I dug around & asked around some more and found several references to the excellent accuracy of the S&H in Army trials.
Anyway, probably a good thing I didn't go spending money I don't have. I'll need it for gas money to the Nationals! Not to mention how far in Yuengling arrears I am to my dad...

Cheers,

Jim B.
110th OVI