PDA

View Full Version : Wet Weather Footgear

Eggman
03-03-2012, 02:12 PM
Tim's efforts to keep the campers at Fort Shenandoah from washing down stream, and Commander McMahon's efforts to find ways to drain the range, reminded me of all of our own personal efforts to cope with the perpetual wet ground during the nationals. To our reenactor friends this is not a problem. Wearing wet brogans for a few days helps them experience what Civil War camp life was really like, and firng blanks in the air helps them experience what Civil War combat was really like (although personally I think getting into the rodeo ring with the "bull fighters" during a championship bull riding contest might more accurately duplicate the feeling). Anyway each national we are treated to dozens and dozens of skirmishers decked out in rubber boots purchased at Tractor Supply much to the detiment of our desire to project authenticity. In addition to making skirmishers somewhat resemble Iowa pig farmers, it also makes for sweaty/stinky feet. So-- here's my solution.
As a second generation Hollander in the country I am well experienced with wooden shoes. Holland, being below sea level as it is, is notorious for rotting out leather shoes, much like Fort Shenandoah. So the Dutch reverted to wood. Besides keeping the feet dry in wet conditions, the wooden shoes "breath," reducing sweaty feet, the wood destroys foot odor, and they easily dry out overnight.
Now I'll grant they don't look a lot like brogans. But I contend that with the boat shaped toes belt sanded off to more of a square shape, a couple coats of black paint applied overall, and finally with shoe laces painted on, they could easily pass for brogans, with the toes curled up.
I've contacted my Dutch friends in Holland, MI, and Pella and Orange City, IA, and they all assure me they can completely outfit the entire N-SSA for $20.00 a pair, either U.S. made or directly from the Neatherlands. What do you think? Since the board is already flexible as to farmer boots I'm sure there will be no problem with approval there.

Blair
03-03-2012, 04:18 PM
Yes.
Some days I like apples, others I like oranges.
Please don't pass off stewed prunes to me when I am expecting stewed apples.

Another words, is there a point to this?

Eggman
03-03-2012, 07:42 PM
Interesting. My stuff has been compared to "road apples" many times, but never "stewed apples."

Lou Lou Lou
03-04-2012, 07:28 AM
What exactly do you find wrong with Iowa Pig farmers?

Blair
03-04-2012, 12:21 PM
A Fellow I knew liked digging in the old trash an rubble mounds of the 1906 earthquake/fire of San Francisco.
He fond a trash dump that predated the earthquake/fire. By how much, I do not honestly know any more. Among the derbies, he found rubber over shoes.
Some of these rubber over shoes had Goodyear Patent dates as early as 1848. The patent dates were, rather suggestive, however, I am not suggesting any of these rubber over shoes actually came from the 1850's or even the 1860's.
These were a black rubber and would be pulled and stretched over the shoe for a snug fit, protecting the shoe from the wet, mud and other things that would soil a nice pair of shoes. I remember seeing these when I was a kid... every adult in a household had at least one pair of these for their best shoes. Can't remember how long ago its been since I've seen anything like these.
I can't help but wonder if something like this may not be a better alternative than a pair of wooden sabots?
Of course, if one steps into a "big" pile of 'road apples', or a mud hole deep enough... neither type of foot wear will offer much protection.

efritz
03-04-2012, 02:12 PM
It appears Winter has very long for some.

jerry ashley
03-04-2012, 04:33 PM
It appears Winter has very long for some.
You might have hit the nail on the head Eric.

Eggman
03-04-2012, 05:37 PM
Good question Lou. Everyone is familiar with the hog's ability to nose up truffles, and a few others may be familiar with the swine's skill as a "pocket hunter," i.e., the ability to sniff out a pocket of gold dust. In fact during the Civil War, after Mark Twain had abscounded after his second Federal parole and had sped off to some Rocky Mountains for some gold and silver mining, there was one occasion where his "pocket hunting" hog was able to turn up a $300 pocket of California gold dust for the future great author. Also, as I understand it, the hog farms on Long Island are mostly free range Lou -- somewhat resembling Clint Eastwood's little hog yard depicted in "Unforgiven." Here, where the hog population is well distributed, and the less desirable qualities of hogdom are not as noticeable, hog farmers are well integrated into society.
In Iowa hog farming is BIG business. I'm talking hog confinements with 5,000 hogs or more. The generate enough methane to provide their own power, and the huge amounts of waste products generated provide some of the richest fertilizer in the world, boosting corn crops to 200 bushels an acre or more. This "hog honey" is SPRAYED on nearby farm land generating an odor defying the immagination. You will notice said odor the second you cross the border on your next trip to Iowa Lou.
So as a result, hog farmers in Iowa (who habitually wear rbber boots) have their own lunch counters and must ride in the back of the bus.

Lou Lou Lou
03-05-2012, 06:57 AM
You are just wrong!

Eggman
03-05-2012, 09:24 AM
Full disclosure here Lou, are you a pig farmer? I admit to a long life as a cattle man.

Scott Lynch 1460V
03-05-2012, 10:53 AM
I was wondering if the Iowa Pig farmer boots made us look less authentic than the mile high front sights painted in a rainbow of florescent paint colors, the peep sights that don't belong, the black rear sight paint, or the Zouaves and Rogers and Spencers that were NEVER issued?? ........I'll go back to sleep now ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ. Scott Lynch

Eggman
03-05-2012, 11:55 AM
This has gotten completely out of hand. PUUULLLLEEEESE don't mess with my beloved Rogers & Spencer. I can live without my orange paint though. Anyway I apologize to everybody for everything I've said up to this point.
Will have a set of prototype wooden brogans available for viewing NLT fall national.

Lou Lou Lou
03-05-2012, 02:12 PM
How about a promise not to post anything until next February?