PDA

View Full Version : Tightening a barrel band(?)

RangerFrog
02-07-2009, 09:09 PM
Several months ago I purchased a used Zouave musket by Euroarms. The front band (it has two) is loose. In fact, it will sometimes pop over the retaining spring, especially if being carried by the sling. Is there a way to tighten the band, or will I need to seek a smaller replacement?

TIA ~ Froggie

Muley Gil
02-08-2009, 12:17 AM
I've seen folks put a small brass nail into the stock, under the barrel band, and then file it to a tighter fit.

Chris Sweeney
02-08-2009, 11:29 AM
Get some bedding compound (or plain old epoxy) and place a shallow hump maybe 1 1/2 wide in the barrel channel. Remember to use LOTS of release compound, and extend it a lot farther than you think you'll need it! Place a small wooden wedge (more like a fat toothpick than a shim) at the nose cap to raise the barrel tight up against the band. If you have too much upward pressure, it may change your point of aim and/or grouping - you can always sand some of the compound away if it's too tight.

J Weber 4114V
02-08-2009, 01:54 PM
My guess is the band spring mortise is too deep letting the spring go too deep to do its job.Easy fix it to use a piece shirt cardboard [do they still call it that?] to shim up the the spring.Spring should just clear band when compressed.

RangerFrog
02-08-2009, 06:10 PM
Thanks for all replies and suggestions. I should have stated that the band is a little loose all the way around, almost as if it were for a very similar but slightly larger stock. I don't think just tightening the retaining spring will be enough help, so I think I'll try a little bedding and see how it does. Thanks again to all! :)

Froggie

Dominic Infante, 8359V
02-09-2009, 12:56 PM
I had a similar problem with a Euroarms Zouave that I bought about a dozen or so years ago. I found a very simple solution which has held up wonderfully with no signs that I will have to redo anything.

For what you described, loose barrel in the barrel channel, the standard solution is a fiberglass bedding of the barrel. However, anyone who has done a bedding job knows it is not easy, messy and takes a good deal of time, not to mention it is quite possible to goof up the job.

Here is what I did. I had some high quality vinyl material left over after re-upholstering my weight lifting bench. The thickness was .030. I cut a piece to fit into the Zouave barrel channel and a piece to fit in the recess for the tang. The thickness must have been just about right because the fit of the barrel bands was nice and snug, but not too tight. I went to the range and found it shot really well. I then used a good quality glue to make my "bedding job" relatively permanent.

I know, I know, not glass bedding the barrel is heresy and I surely will lose the little bit of credibility I have accumulated with my friends for having adopted such a simple, quick, low tech solution. However, I have always favored parsimony; moreover, I am confident the fix will last the life of the gun, which is about what we expect for glass bedding.

Bron Wolff, 1492V
02-09-2009, 02:17 PM
Dominic,

With a bedding job like thats it no wonder you hit the hill twice at Batesville
"when a-you round hits the hill at a place called Batesville - at's a moire" and as far a credibility goes, well, after the birthday party at Defiance years ago that was pretty well shot in butt.

Bron Wolff 1492V

Edwin Flint, 8427
02-09-2009, 07:12 PM
If it is loose all the way around, in a more or less uniform manner, there may be another solution. It sounds to me that what may have happened is that the stock has dried out. Try soaking the area with oil or even water. Saturate a cloth with mineral oil or linseed oil and wrap the area of the band and see if it resumes its original shape and size. Lots easier than a bedding job.

You will still need to bed it to get consistent accuracy but it is an easier quick fix for what I think your problem is.

Dominic Infante, 8359V
02-10-2009, 04:27 PM
Bron,

OK. It could have been the bedding job. However, another possibility is it could have been the person shooting to my right who is known for his uncanny ability to get into your head. I must say though, after your serenade of That's Amore at the last Batesville, I hit 5 out of 6 hanging plastic bottles, 3 out of 4 hanging birds, and 2 out of 3 100 yd. tiles. So, I can hardly wait until your next serenade!