PDA

View Full Version : Charlie Tubes

johnefelts
02-29-2012, 07:54 PM
Charlies tubes are awsome, If you have the correct ringtail bullet to set inside them,I however have the Pedersoli 525 grain bullet mold which has a ringtail of .500 and easily rips the Hahn tubes,Today I found a Vetern ran company in Fort Wayne IN that make tubes to any specs,Ive asked them to make a tube with an ID of .500 an a OD of .540 and 1.25" long,if anyone is interested and getting some of these tubes let me know,Im still waiting for pricing.Oh,the reason I have the Pedersoli mold is because I have a Pedersoli Sharps.

gemmer
03-01-2012, 08:08 AM
I use a wide tapered grinding bit to open the bullet end of the tube and cut three vertical slits the same height as the bullet base. A dab of glue and I'm good to go.

Duane

Greg Ogdan 110th OVI
03-01-2012, 08:28 AM
Gentlemen,

I understand your situation, however I am curious as to why you're looking for something to help you shoot such a heavy bullet? Both my Shiloh and Pedersoli Sharps guns shoot lights out with the 475 grain bullet. Not trying to start anything, just curious.

johnefelts
03-01-2012, 10:34 AM
Ill give that a try gemmer as I have about 200 of charlies tubes yet,as to bullet weight,I had no preference its just that my mold creates that big of a bullet.

johnefelts
03-01-2012, 10:36 AM
Charlies tubes are awsome, If you have the correct ringtail bullet to set inside them,I however have the Pedersoli 525 grain bullet mold which has a ringtail of .500 and easily rips the Hahn tubes,Today I found a Vetern ran company in Fort Wayne IN that make tubes to any specs,Ive asked them to make a tube with an ID of .500 an a OD of .540 and 1.25" long,if anyone is interested and getting some of these tubes let me know,Im still waiting for pricing.Oh,the reason I have the Pedersoli mold is because I have a Pedersoli Sharps.

The tubes are going to run .06 each.

gemmer
03-01-2012, 10:41 AM
Gentlemen,

I understand your situation, however I am curious as to why you're looking for something to help you shoot such a heavy bullet? Both my Shiloh and Pedersoli Sharps guns shoot lights out with the 475 grain bullet. Not trying to start anything, just curious.

I considered the weight difference and decided to use 3F Swiss in the 50 gr. tubes to compensate for the added weight. The Perdersoli is a round nose flat point that, in my opinion at least would be a better hunting bullet than say a Rapine, naturally with a heavier charge. That being said, I would have bought one of his if I could find one. I spoke to him at the Fort last fall and he didn't have any left. I considered an NEI but I've heard bad things about their products lately. So, it was either the Pedersoli for which I have handles that fit or a Brooks that was around twice the cost plus new handles. Truth is I haven't tried them yet, or any other bullet. I got my rifle back from Charlie last fall after a breech job but between muzzleloading season here in NJ and moving my business, I just haven't had the time. I do have a bunch of tube loads ready to go with the Pedersoli and what looks like the Rapine pattern from Rush Creek, and I've made up some heavier loads in paper cartridges including some with the Hornady's Great Plains. So some day soon I'm going to have quite a range session. In the mean time I've been soaking up all the info on this forum as well as Shiloh's.

Duane

ms3635v
03-01-2012, 01:18 PM
I use Charlie's tubes with the Lyman ringtail bullet and 48 grains of 3f in my Shiloh (Farmingdale) Sharps carbine. The ringtail is a nice snug fit in Charlie's tubes, making shooting the carbine enjoyable.

gemmer
03-09-2012, 11:57 AM
I finally got to shoot my .54 Sporter after Charlie did an o ring/ breechblock job on it.The action fuctioned flawlesly and I fired over thirty rounds without a problem. Accuracy was excellent with the Pedersoli and Rush Creek bullets, Charilie's tube and 50gr of Swiss 3F. Full house loads(80 gr. Swiss 2F) also shot well with those bullets and paper cartridges, but they certainly got my attention shooting off a bench.

Duane