PDA

View Full Version : Zoli Zouave Nipple

mb3
02-28-2012, 07:23 PM
Does anyone know what size nipple (four winged caps) the Zoli Zouave uses?

Francis J. Miller Jr, 02601
02-29-2012, 07:46 PM
mb3,

That would be a Musket Cap Nipple 5/16 x 18.

Hope that is the info you needed.

Damon
03-01-2012, 04:15 AM
mb3,

That would be a Musket Cap Nipple 5/16 x 18.

Hope that is the info you needed.

5/16 x 18 is for original Enfields and Parker Hale copies. If it is the same as my Zoli JP Murray it will be 5/16 x 24.

03-01-2012, 10:11 AM
Damon,

You are correct. I stand corrected. Thank You Sir, for catching that.

mb3,

Sorry for the mis information. It IS 5/16 x 24, not 5/16 x 18.

mb3
03-01-2012, 02:09 PM
Thank you for the information guys. I have a Zoli coming in the mail, should be here the middle of next week. Not sure of the overall condition, but I am assuming I will have to replace at least the nipple, and re finish the stock etc.

mb3
03-03-2012, 04:00 PM
I got my Zoli Zouave in today and she looks good. I will post up some picture when I get the chance. The nipple on the rifle appears to be for a #11 pistol cap. I understand origionally the rifle came with both a musket cap nipple and a pistol cap nipple. Which is better? In addition, the nipple threads are the 5/16 x 24.

Blair
03-03-2012, 04:32 PM
mb3,

Yes, you may find some of the Zoli made Zouaves with this nipple configuration.
Based on only "my honest opinion", use the large musket cap size nipple.
Trash the smaller pistol size nipple. (Unless you want to keep everything original to a reproduction firearm.) Please keep in mind when I say "trash" the small pistol cap size nipple, I don't mean for you to through it away. Just don't keep it with your kit unless you plan on carring to types of percusion caps.
Just a thought on my part,

03-03-2012, 04:38 PM
mb3,

Both Zoli's I have owned came with the 2 nipples you described, 1 Musket cap and 1 #11 cap nipple which was screwed in the recess in the patch box. I replaced the #11 cap nipple in the patch box with a spare Musket cap nipple, and only use the Musket cap nipples.

mb3
03-04-2012, 11:24 AM
I ordered some Spitfire musket nipples. I have had good luck with them in the past. Do any of you guys use a metal guard around the bolster to protect the stock?

mb3
03-04-2012, 05:05 PM
Another question I have is; do you guys shoot 577 or 575 minnies out of your zouaves? I have both the 575-213 and 577-611's, plus th e 570 ball.

Lou Lou Lou
03-04-2012, 05:20 PM
You need to "slug" your bore. You should shoot a minie that is one thousanth smaller than bore size.

ms3635v
03-05-2012, 06:28 AM
I shoot an RCBS 500M minie sized to .576" in my Zoli. It produces great results with 45 grains of 3F.

mb3
03-05-2012, 11:07 AM
I shoot an RCBS 500M minie sized to .576" in my Zoli. It produces great results with 45 grains of 3F.

I have heard of a lot of guys using the 3f powder in lieu of the 2f. Is the 45gr load of 3f similar to 60gr of 2f?

Mike w/ 34th
03-25-2012, 09:39 PM
The rule of thumb on powder is to use 1 grain of FFg powder for every 10 grains of lead in the bullet. So a 575-213 weighs about 525 grains, so you want 52.5 grains of FFg.

The other rule of thumb is that FFFg is 10% hotter than FFg.

That will give you a starting load for bench trials. I fire 5 shots at one load, and then add 2 grains and fire 5 more. The group should tighten up, then widen out again. When you get the tight group, work up and down in 1/2 grain increments until you find the charge that wants to group the tightest, then write that info on a piece of paper and put it in the patch box with the extra nipple. :)

-Michael

Eggman
03-26-2012, 09:29 AM
Wondering whose rule of thumb that is????

Fearless Frank
03-27-2012, 05:10 PM
Who's thumb are we using. Mine is rather large; others not so much.

Eggman
03-27-2012, 08:47 PM
I understand that some of the Massaponax based their warrior leader positions on thumb size, but I thought that custom died out about like around the early 1800s. Nice that you New Englanders are keeping some traditions alive.

Mike w/ 34th
03-27-2012, 11:32 PM
The original "rule of thumb" was that you can't beat your wife with a stick any wider than your thumb. Thus accountants and piano players became very popular marriage material back in Georgian England.

As for where the rules I posted came from, they came from right here on the bulletin board, about 10 years ago. All credit to my elders and betters for those.

-Mike

Eggman
03-28-2012, 09:53 AM
I must admit I've heard this theory before, but I don't recall it being called a "rule of thumb." I can't see the science behind it, or the practicality behind it. We have a few centuries of our elders' experience with these firearms - up to the present - and a ton of this experience being posted right here. This "rule of thumb" trumps that in my opinion, and starts you in the wilderness.
For example, when I joined the N-SSA in '90 (after 18 years as a roundballer) my first task, like most, was to purchase a musket. Like many, I purchased a replica of the same gun my wife's great-grand dad used in the war, a three band Enfield. I was under the mentorship of Gene Wilson of the 20th GA, one of these 50 year guys, who recommended for starters 35 grains of fff and a traditional minie, about 500 grains. Obviously no one to ten correlation here. From the get-go the gun has always been a tack driver (off the bench) with this combination. How would the "rule of thumb" worked here? Start with 50 grains and move backwards? I'm afraid most newbys would do the opposite, start with the 50 and move the other way, up toward what were the standard Civil War loads designed for ranges of 300-400 yards. I don't know anyone that shoots hot loads like that in the N-SSA except in smoothbores.
So you get the idea. I think the "rule of thumb" is bumpkis.

mike davenport
03-28-2012, 11:46 AM
Egg man
You may want to expand your view and review the site below. I know of several shooters who shoot larger powder charges and are quite effective. There is quite a difference in grain size, burn rate and fouling when you compare FFg, FFFg and Fg withing the same manufacturers and others. I have shot Curtis and Harvey Fg in both carbines and Rifles and used 60 grains. It is comparable to Goex FFFG at 45 grains. The old DuPont powder also had these same issues. Swiss offers advantages as does Goex. Variety is the spice of life!

Check out this very informational site:
http://home.insightbb.com/~bspen/math.html

As most of us know there are many different ways to get the job done. That is what makes this organization so unique. We dont shoot the same guns, or style and we all enjoy the same experience.

Heres to smoke and sulphur and salt peter!

Mike Davenport
Dismal Swamp Rangers

Mike w/ 34th
03-29-2012, 08:30 PM
Eggman,

That's why I called it a "rule of thumb" and not a "law of thumb". If you don't know where to start working up a load, here's a place to start. I've worked up loads for a number of original and repro guns using this method, and I don't have to add half an inch to the front sight to get the gun to shoot to point of aim.

Yes, should have said "add or subtract 2 grains" because that's how I do it. You caught me, congratulations, I omitted a step, so clearly everything I say is "bumpkis".

I'm really not interested in debating you, so you do it your way, I'll do it mine, and y'all have a real nice day.

-Mike