PDA

View Full Version : Pedersoli sharps

kevikens
02-25-2012, 01:18 PM
I know this topic has been raised before but what has been posted has not been much of a help, to me, anyway. I recently purchased the Pedersoli Confederate Sharps carbine. It didn't take too many shots to freeze the breech block. I eventually got it open but it is useless for more than a few shots as it seizes up in a few shots no matter how I clean it. Have any of you discovered some kind of lubricant than helps out? I have read the posting about the o-rings but I can form no image in my mind as to what is going on with the modification. Where do the o-rings go in the lock? Around the cone from which the cap flame comes?somewhere else? Do I just insert them somewhere or must I so something else in addition? Most of all are there any images, photos, videos that actually show the modification taking place? There was supposed to be one on "photo bucket" but darn if I can find it. One other question on the Sharps. I have been shooting .535 round balls because I fear to put in the breech the .54 caliber Maxi Ball that I use in a Plains rifle. It seems too tight in the bore, at least at the muzzle end where I cannot get it into the barrel as I can down my Hawken. Of course I am not trying to load the sharps as a muzzle loader, just trying to see if the maxi ball can go down that barrel from the breach end without blowing up the gun by shooting a bullet too wide for the barrel of the Sharps. Thanks for any help you can offer. Kevin (formerly, a long time ago, of the 12th NJ).

Michael T.
02-25-2012, 02:06 PM
There are several people who do the modification on Sharps Rifles and Carbines, Charlie Hahn comes to mind as he is said to be the one who modified the ones I now own. It take a machinist to do it, the O ring is not just something you add. Look at other posts and you will find info on Charlie..http://www.n-ssa.org/vbforum/images/icons/icon11.png

Fauch125
02-25-2012, 02:54 PM
I sent you a PM with a link to my team's website, I had previously posted pictures of the modification done by Charlie Hahn. Very happy with the result.
Jon Faucher

kevikens
02-25-2012, 05:56 PM
Thanks, Jonathan. I am having trouble getting to your bogspot site from the link you sent me. If this modification proves impractical do you or any others know what other trick might let me get off more shots before the freeze up happens? I have seen some other postings suggesting this or that lubricant such as petroleum jelly or graphite helps but I have no idea where to put the lubricant. I wrote Pedersoli about this but have not yet gotten a response. Again, anything with an image would be a great help. Thanks once more.

SHARPS4953
02-26-2012, 01:08 AM
I just got my IAB sharps carbine back from Charlie Hahn a month or so ago, I ordered a custom ringtail mould from Brooks moulds. It is a dream to shoot now...cost about 275 for the mod and the mould was 180.

johnefelts
02-26-2012, 11:04 AM
The Maxi ball will go down your barrel when fired with no problem,Pedersoli Barrels are .540 in the grooves and .520 between lands,Gunbroker has ringtail Bullets for sale that are .543 and are 20.00 dollars for 50 bullets and they shoot quiet well from my Barrel,I also have a .540 Pedersoli Ringtail bullet mold that makes 525 grain bullets,I can make you some of those for a small fee if you would like.

kevikens
02-26-2012, 04:03 PM
John, thank you . That was very kind of you to make that offer. I may take advantage of it but first I will try my .54 maxi balls as I have an ample supply of them. If they don't work I'll be in touch with you about the ring tail bullets. Thanks again

mike owsiak
02-26-2012, 04:12 PM
call MIKE O. for ring tail mold 856 596 0177

johnefelts
02-26-2012, 07:15 PM
John, thank you . That was very kind of you to make that offer. I may take advantage of it but first I will try my .54 maxi balls as I have an ample supply of them. If they don't work I'll be in touch with you about the ring tail bullets. Thanks again

Just let me know when and if youd like some.

kevikens
02-27-2012, 10:08 AM
John: as it turned out I had only a handful of .54 Maxi Balls. Most turned out to be .50 caliber so I would like to take you up on your offer, say about 25 or so and if they work out I'll get a mold. My e-mail is kevikens@hotmail.com E-mail me and we will work out the details.Thanks again for the offer.

kowdok
02-27-2012, 06:04 PM
Although I think you'll eventually want to do a block modification, try this, it worked beautifully for me. Pick up a small tube of white lithium grease at a auto parts store and run a small line of grease along all 4 edges of the breech block. I went from having to clean after every event to being able to shoot the entire match w/out cleaning. That's 30 to 50 rounds w/out cleaning. I have the Charlie Hahn mod. and it would still freeze up until I started using the grease. Good luck.

kevikens
02-27-2012, 08:43 PM
Southron: I may have botched the response to the PM you sent me. My reply should be, Can you tell from the serial number what kind it is. SH25526 . It is the 1862 Richmond Confederate version with the stainless steel gas plate. Thanks

kevikens
02-29-2012, 09:11 AM
Thanks for that advice. I took it and got the material you suggested and will let you know how it worked out later. By the way I like your aphorism that appears in your posting about remembering the past. For 43 years I taught high school history and had posted above the chalk board the sentiment of Thucydides in his opening of the Peloponnesian War. My banner read, "We give the past the honor of remembrance". I NEVER let my students forget that where they are today is only because of what their progenitors did yesterday.

John Holland
02-29-2012, 11:52 AM
"My banner read, "We give the past the honor of remembrance". I NEVER let my students forget that where they are today is only because of what their progenitors did yesterday."

Well said, thank you for sharing!

JDH