PDA

View Full Version : Digital powder scale

hwaugh
02-24-2012, 07:03 PM
I have been contemplating picking up a digital powder scale in lieu of using my 505 balance scale. Any recommendations or thoughts one way or the other on getting one? Thanks for your help.

Harry Waugh - 3731 - Terry's Texas Rangers

Walt Zdon JR, 6629V
02-24-2012, 07:40 PM
I would not recommend any electronic scales with black powder. Lyman offers a very nice black powder dumper. I use several and they throw very consistent charges. There are those who use electric scales but it's not recommended.

William H. Shuey
02-24-2012, 07:54 PM
MidSouth Shooter's Supply and am very happy with it. It takes a little practice to develop your best and most efficient method of work. I am probably going to lok for one of those powder "dribblers" as an improvement to mine.

Bill Shuey

Maillemaker
02-24-2012, 09:49 PM
I use an electronics scale for both black powder and smokeless powder.

Steve

bobanderson
02-25-2012, 07:51 AM
I shoot Black Powder Cartridge Rifle Silhouette and was looking for the most consistent loads possible. As an experiment, I hand weighed all of my powder charges on a Dillon Determinator electronic scale for a year. The following year, I used a Belding & Mull Visible powder measure (http://www.beldingandmull.com/visible_powder.html) with an adjustable powder measure, which was much faster. After 2 years of testing, and comparing my scores, match results, etc, there was no difference.

I do use the electronic scale to sort my bullets by weight, which really helped my scores at long range, which is 500 meters on the Rams.

I'd say get the Belding & Mull. You can find original ones on eBay and Montana Vintage Arms sells newly manufactured ones.

I've weighed thousands of black powder loads on my electronic scale. The only blowup I have ever experienced was a cook-off on the line in a musket match. Weigh your charges in the metal powder pan and I think you're safe enough.

ms3635v
02-25-2012, 08:03 AM
I have been using a Cabela's brand digital scale for the past two years and I am quite pleased with it. It's easy to use and works on a battery if you don't have an outlet nearby.

Ron/The Old Reb
02-25-2012, 08:47 AM
I use an original Belding and Mull measure and a Lyman 5D scale for all my black power loads. It's a little slow but then I am sure of what is in my quick loads. A few years ago I got the hots for a electronic scale. So I got on the web and look up all the reviews I could fine. First I found that the cheaper ones tend not to be constant. The only cons I could fine on the better ones is that they where sensitive to temperature change and the use of other electronic devices near the scale like a cell phone. So I am still using my old tried and true B & M. and 5D scale.

Gary Van Kauwenbergh, 101
02-25-2012, 11:42 AM
Make sure you get one that can also measure your bullets. Some of them don't go that high.

I started out with a simple one from Midway made by Pact. Then I upgraded to an RCBS one that communicates with an automatic powder thrower. I later bought a portable one from Midway. All of them still work, and I use all of them when I weigh bullets. For measuring powder, I stick to the automatic RCBS one with the thrower. After the scale zeros, I throw an underweight powder load in the pan using my Lee powder scoops, so I only have to wait for the thrower to measure out about the last five grains of powder.

I've been using electronic scales for about a decade.

David Disher 12143
02-27-2012, 08:03 AM
You may want to try Miami Valley Sutler. (Mike Rouch) They sell the MTM Case-Gard digital powder scale. They are really good little scales, priced right, and will also weigh your bullets accurately.

David Disher

Scott Kurki, 12475
02-27-2012, 11:50 AM
I have a new Lyman digital scale that I am not happy with as it is very inconsistant. YMMV but I would not recommend this one based on my experience as limited as it is.

snapcap14
02-27-2012, 12:00 PM
Fyi pact makes the rcbs elect. Sales

John Lahman 11013
02-27-2012, 01:51 PM
I've been using a PACT BBK II for almost 7 years, would not load without it. I check every load, much faster than beam scale.
Just bought a cheap Frankford Arsenal ($19.00 on sale @ Midway). Great for field use, just keep out of the wind. Matches PACT withih .2 grains.

Maillemaker
02-27-2012, 02:53 PM
I also use the little Frankford Arsenal scale. Think I got it for $25. Seems repeatable to tenths of grains.

Steve