PDA

View Full Version : 1861 Enfield Horse Pistol

Robt. Propst
02-22-2012, 03:23 AM
My room mate in Kabul picked up a single shot muzzle loading horse pistol at a bazaar in Kabul a couple weeks ago. It is marked with a carbine sized lockplate as 1861 Enfield with numerous Broad Arrows, as well as crisp, non sanscrit stamps on the left of the breech. Large carbine reatainer with ring on left flat. VR with crown to the rear of the hammer. Notch sight next to the tang, checkering on the tang itself. Very well made pistol, @ .58 caliber, ramrod retainer at muzzle, lanyard ring on butt as well. Very well made, not the run of the mill bazaar trash. Excellent wood to metal fit. Googled the description 1861 Enfield Pistol, and came up with a picture of one someone wanted to sell for $1200. Yuh. NO description other than a bazaar find. My conjecture is made over here for some of the Indian forces. Any thoughts or knowledge? Muley Gil, see anything like that over here?

THX in advance,

Bob Propst
44th GA
Forward Deployed to Kabul

My younger son Parker will be joining me over here in May. He will deploy as part of a training team from 2/502 IN (Strike Force), 2BCT, 101st ABN.

Southron Sr.
02-22-2012, 04:35 PM
According to Rhodes in his "British Soldiers Firearms, 1850-1864" the British Ordnance Department adopted a .577 caliber single shot pistol. It utilized a 1 in 48 Twist and the barrel had 5 Grooves. The model adopted in 1860 had an 8 inch barrel as to opposed to an earlier 1856 pistol that had a 10 inch barrel. According to Rhodes those single shot pistols were widely distributed in India.

Muley Gil
02-22-2012, 09:16 PM
Well, as a matter of fact, yes, I did. In 2004, I bought an Enfield marked pistol with a .69 octagon barrel. It has a swivel rammer, a brass buttplate and staple. It came from a Kabul bazaar as well.

The pics didn't come out all that well, but I think you get the idea. This is the best of the ones I saw during my three years in the sandbox. There were many, many more Afghan "put togethers" that I wouldn't even THINK of firing.

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l203/MuleyGil/P10101663.jpg

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l203/MuleyGil/P10101652.jpg

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l203/MuleyGil/P10101644.jpg

Robt. Propst
02-23-2012, 07:14 AM
Gil, my roomie's pistol is much of the condition and aspect as yours. His has a carbine sling bar with ring on the left, but other wise right on. Thank you for posting the pix. Brannon, thank you for the info as well. All of my reference books are holding down the fort in Atlanta. One or two of these toys would make nice dustcatchers if I can find two more in this shape, not that I need more souvenirs around the house. Regards, Bob

gunor
02-26-2012, 11:47 PM
I don't know where your pistol was made or when, but....

I visited the Central Warehouse in Kabul a few times in 2006/2007. Once found over 60,000 parts for a D-30 122mm gun.

There were stacks of British Enfields (Muzzleloaders to breechloaders).

The Enfields were missing locks - Just think what will fit in a pocket.

I suspected that many of the pistols I saw with 'real' looking locks where from the Warehouses.

Your pistol - sorry no idea - And I not implying anything - hope it is a real one.

Afghan's are great hoarders - and the right hand didn't know what the left had.

Geoff in Oregon