PDA

View Full Version : DeBray's 26th Tx Cavalry

Peter Stines
02-20-2012, 02:11 PM
I'm looking for images of troopers in DeBray's 26th Tx Cavalry. (I have Fred Adolphus' article) My great-great grandfather was in Company C. I've seen some images of members but they were in civilian clothing.

WILEYROBBINS
02-22-2012, 12:20 AM
My GGrandfather Wily Robbins [W Robin, W Robins] mustered in from Walker County Texas, into The 7th Texas Mounted Malitia 7Rgt. Co. G. 1861 San Antonio Texas. They provided their own weapons[Rifles, muskets, shotguns[many] and pistols, clothes;[what they had was what they wore], horses and equipment. Any uniforms were captured Federal uniforms and or equipment, and only issued to the very very needy; from captured stores at San Antonio; when the Federal garrison surrendered. Federal greatcoats were in high demand for the Army of New Mexico as it was winter march to New Mexico. Read "Rebels on the Rio Grande". Good info about their starving, struggle and the great suffering they went through. Wily had many kinfolk, neighbors and friends in other Texas Calvary units. Texas and the Confederacy would soon learn of the dominance of the "Industrialized North". Texas had agriculture, cotton,; but minimal manufacturing. I hope this helps! At your service sir! James F Robbins from the Republic of Texas.

Peter Stines
02-29-2012, 01:37 PM
My GGrandfather Wily Robbins [W Robin, W Robins] mustered in from Walker County Texas, into The 7th Texas Mounted Malitia 7Rgt. Co. G. 1861 San Antonio Texas. They provided their own weapons[Rifles, muskets, shotguns[many] and pistols, clothes;[what they had was what they wore], horses and equipment. Any uniforms were captured Federal uniforms and or equipment, and only issued to the very very needy; from captured stores at San Antonio; when the Federal garrison surrendered. Federal greatcoats were in high demand for the Army of New Mexico as it was winter march to New Mexico. Read "Rebels on the Rio Grande". Good info about their starving, struggle and the great suffering they went through. Wily had many kinfolk, neighbors and friends in other Texas Calvary units. Texas and the Confederacy would soon learn of the dominance of the "Industrialized North". Texas had agriculture, cotton,; but minimal manufacturing. I hope this helps! At your service sir! James F Robbins from the Republic of Texas.

The National Achives records of Debrays shows they had Hall carbines, Prescott revolvers, 3 band Enfields, shotguns, Sharps etc. They ditched the Mexican lances pretty quickly.