PDA

View Full Version : Sharps Mess

johnefelts
02-19-2012, 06:51 PM
What a mess,today I really got to shoot my Pedersoli Sporting in 54 cal,I had paper cartridges and the Charlie Hahn Tubes,I fired about 30 rounds today with only 3 misfires using the rws musket caps,None of the Charlie tubes got sucked out the end of the barrel and had to be removed with my pinky but gave the best accuracy,the paper cartridges must have been to inconsentant because the rounds were strung up and down,but still good fun,at the end the towel I was using beneath the rifle was black and so was my trigger finger.Breech started gettinf tight around 10 rounds but I pushed on,only pushing a brush down the bore every 5 to 8 shots.Im thinking Ill be talking to Charlie about that breech mod as to much was blowing out the bottom.But man can she shoot.2" groups at 100yards with the Charlie tubes,with 65 grains of fff 777 and a 480gr ring tail.

Greg Ogdan 110th OVI
02-20-2012, 06:31 PM
John,
Glad to hear you've joined the Sharps fraternity! Yes, the Sharps is a great firearm. If I may suggest a few items to help you. First, 777 is not legal for N-SSA competition. Second, that large a charge only contributes to premature pressure plate burn out. Try 50g of FFg real black powder. Third, If you will hold your cartricges by the tube and dip them to the base of the bullet into a lube like MCM, you should have enough lube to shoot that carbine forever with no fouling issues. Fourth, If you will use a pencil to put a hole in the rear of the cartridge, those 3 misfires will disappear. Hope thiis helps some.

gemmer
02-21-2012, 10:03 AM
What a mess,today I really got to shoot my Pedersoli Sporting in 54 cal,I had paper cartridges and the Charlie Hahn Tubes,I fired about 30 rounds today with only 3 misfires using the rws musket caps,None of the Charlie tubes got sucked out the end of the barrel and had to be removed with my pinky but gave the best accuracy,the paper cartridges must have been to inconsentant because the rounds were strung up and down,but still good fun,at the end the towel I was using beneath the rifle was black and so was my trigger finger.Breech started gettinf tight around 10 rounds but I pushed on,only pushing a brush down the bore every 5 to 8 shots.Im thinking Ill be talking to Charlie about that breech mod as to much was blowing out the bottom.But man can she shoot.2" groups at 100yards with the Charlie tubes,with 65 grains of fff 777 and a 480gr ring tail.

What length tube are you using? I use the 1.25" in my .54 Pedersoli Sporter with a ringtail and the back of the tube just clears the breechblock. I can only get 50 gr of Swiss 3f in it and still have room for the base of the bullet. Is that 65 gr charge by volume or weight?

Duane

johnefelts
02-21-2012, 06:37 PM
Thanks for the feed back Gemmer Ill try the poking a hole and try the ffg powder if I can ever find any real black powder,the 65 gr is by packed volume in a brass powder measure and the tube I am using were 1.5" but ive cut them to lenght right around 1.25 inch or a hair longer,Im dipping the bullet into the 50/50 NRA formula,when I say packed,what i mean is My powder measure is set at 65 gr and I keep adding powder and tapping the side until it cant hold any more.

Francis J. Miller Jr, 02601
02-21-2012, 06:57 PM
John,

Don't know where you live, but you can get real black powder from John Venskoske owner of the Back Creek Gun Shop which is located at the end of the exit road from Fort Shenandoah Winchester, VA. He can ship UPS and has different brands and grades. Check out his website www.blackpowderva.com (http://www.blackpowderva.com) Hope this can help you.

johnefelts
02-21-2012, 07:10 PM
Thanks for the info,I live in Western North Dakota,Ill look at the web site.

Greg Ogdan 110th OVI
02-21-2012, 07:20 PM
John,

If you can get hold of a copy of Muzzleblasts, the magazine of the National Muzzleloading Rifle Assn, there are several distributors way closer to you than John. Just look in the classifieds.

Francis J. Miller Jr, 02601
02-21-2012, 08:18 PM
John,

Here are some distributors closer to your area of the country.

Graf & Sons, Inc.
4050 South Clark
Mexico, MO 65265
800-444-9360
Fax: 800-367-7626
www.grafs.com (http://www.grafs.com)

Western Powders, Inc. (black powder only)
P. O. Box 158
Top of Yellowstone Hill
Miles City, MT 59301
800-497-1007, 406-232-0422
Fax: 406-232-0430

Bear River Powder
P.O. Box 2853
Evanston, WY 82931
307-789-3613 or 307-679-0886
E-mail: bearriverpowder@allwest.net

johnefelts
02-22-2012, 06:47 PM
Thanks so much for the info Francis

Eggman
02-22-2012, 07:20 PM
At the risk of too much information, there is also the Upper Missouri Trading Company at Chadron, NB John. Doc and Dee Carlson run this, two of the classiest muzzleloaders you'll meet. They sell only the Swiss in all grades but you can buy as little as five pounds there.
On another subject, is it true the coyotes carry sticks around with them up there so they have a place to pee John?

johnefelts
02-23-2012, 09:20 AM
Its true,not many trees up Here in ND,Ive heard that the Buffalo rubbed them all down to nothing,guess the Sharps came along a little to late.

Southron Sr.
02-27-2012, 01:59 AM
Swiss Powder works great in the Sharps because it fouls less than the other brands of Black Powder. Generally, FFFg will foul less than FFg, if both grades of powder are of the same brand.

Yep, it definitely sounds like you need an "O" Ring job! You should be able to shoot at least 50-60 rounds before you have to clean powder fouling out the breech and breech block.

GOOD LUCK!!!