PDA

View Full Version : What's needed to import a LACo P53 into US from the UK?

Pat in Virginia
02-13-2012, 03:27 PM
This seemed like the best place to post this. I apologize if it is not.

I'm seriously considering purchasing a LACo P53 (1861) that's presently in the UK.

What needs to be done to make that happen as far as US import restrictions and customs are concerned. This would be an individual to individual transfer. I'm trying to make this as smooth as possible.

Assuming that's not a problem, what's the best way to ship: post, UPS, Fed-Ex, ???

Any thought would be greatly appreciated.

Pat in Virginia

Mike McDaniel
02-13-2012, 04:39 PM
I don't think there are any regulations, particularly not for antiques. It's not a firearm under the provisions of the Gun Control Act of 1968. Just have it shipped, probably either UPS or FedEx.

Kurt Lacko 7862
02-13-2012, 04:50 PM
You might want to ask the same question in the UK as well. It may be considered a firearm there. In which case what do their laws require?

Scott Lynch 1460V
02-14-2012, 07:05 AM
What is the marking LACO 53 mean??? Because if you want one of these I have one with an umfired Bobby Hoyt barrel on it for sale. Scott Lynch

Pat in Virginia
02-14-2012, 11:33 AM
Scott,

A LACo P53 is, in the original, a pattern 1853 Enfield manufactured by the London Armoury Company, Bermondsey, England to the pattern. The one I am interested was made in 1860 per the date on the lock. I'm looking for an original where the lock, stock and barrel as a minimum are correct and of the period.

Only the Enfield and LACo P53s were manufactured on US made machinery such that they had interchangeable parts. The Royal Arms Factory at Enfield made P53's were not available to the CSA or Union for that matter as it was against English law to sell them out of British service at that time. The LACo rifles were favorites with the CSA snipers and were usually held back for them. However, it must be said many of the ones they had were Type II rifles that were made the old way with non-interchangeable parts. Still, they were top quality otherwise.

The one I am interested in has a mint barrel (interior) per the owner and the picture seems to back it up. It is a shooter and the stock shows that. To me that's "character." It's been used and performed well in international competitions.

As a USMC gunnery sergeant once told me, "The only stupid question is the one you don't ask." I ask lots of questions myself. Hope this helps.

Pat

BADSHOT
02-15-2012, 03:44 PM
Scott
How much for the Enfield?

What is the marking LACO 53 mean??? Because if you want one of these I have one with an umfired Bobby Hoyt barrel on it for sale. Scott Lynch