PDA

View Full Version : "Zouave Sniper" Sight

Damon
02-10-2012, 03:39 AM
Hi all,
I was wondering what the thoughts are on the so called Zouave Sniper sight? I was reading though my copy of Identifying Old US Muskets, rifles and carbines, and in the section on the US Model 1855 rifle, it metions a sights which sounds similar to what is know markers as the above. Did this sight see any use during the ACW? Is it acceptable to use as an as issued sight type?

Thanks,
Damon

Blair
02-10-2012, 07:47 AM
Damon,

Are you referring to the figure "8" style Globe front sight attachment?
This type of sight that is sold as one for the "Zouave" Rifle is patterned after the one that originally came with the brass mounted M-1855 Rifle. The patch box on this early '55 was in let for housing this Globe front sight.

John Holland
02-10-2012, 10:44 AM
Damon -

The hooded front sight barrel attachment, as Blair stated, was originally designed for and issued with the first type Harper's Ferry Model 1855 Rifle. During the American Civil War Centennial Val Forgette, owner/operator of Navy Arms, had a reproduction of that sight made in Italy. Since the only reproduction long arm at that time was the Navy Arms Remington Model 1863 Rifle, aka "Zouave", the sight was marketed as a "Zouave Sniper Sight". It is a fairly faithful reproduction and will fit into the inlet in the patch box of an original Harper's Ferry Type 1 Model 1855 Rifle. Since the barrel diameter, and front sight type, for both rifles is nearly the same the sight is interchangeable with both arms.

JDH

Damon
02-12-2012, 04:05 AM
What are these sights like to use, do they offer an advantage in accuracy or not worth the effort?

Thanks,
Damon

Blair
02-12-2012, 08:11 AM
Damon,

I have not tried using one of these while live firing. So, I can't help you in that area. I have only used mine for demonstrations and only with my M-1855 Rifle.
John will be better able to tell you if they are a legal sight for competition. In all honesty I never checked the Regs.
Blair

Mike w/ 34th
02-18-2012, 04:23 AM
A globe front sight helps a little if you're shooting in glare or are getting farsighted. With the standard V-notch rear sight, I wouldn't expect 5-shot cloverleaf groups or anything like that.

They are not legal for N-SSA competition, the last time I checked the rules.

Cheers,

Michael

John Holland
02-18-2012, 05:07 PM
I believe the "N-SSA Legal" aspect is a moot point with Damon living in Australia!

As for the rest of his question, "Did they see any use during the ACW?", I would rather doubt it.

JDH

Damon
02-19-2012, 02:07 AM
I believe the "N-SSA Legal" aspect is a moot point with Damon living in Australia!

As for the rest of his question, "Did they see any during the ACW?", I would rather doubt it.

JDH
I wish I could be in the N-SSA.