PDA

View Full Version : Garand Hunting Loads

kennycarmichael
01-29-2012, 09:36 PM
Y'all:
I recently purchased an M1D and intend to mount a repro M84 scope on it. In addition I intend to deer hunt with it. Have any of you made up any whitetail loads for the M1D Garand? Thanks in advance
Kenny Carmichael 7694V FEC

R71
01-29-2012, 10:14 PM
I have not handloaded ammo for my Garand, I would think any 150-165 grn factory load would work well. The Garand was designed around a 150 grn bullet, hot laods and heavier bullets can bend the op-rod.

Fauch125
01-29-2012, 10:23 PM
Its not just the bullet weight, Do not use modern 30.06 in a Garand. You have 2 choices if you want to hunt (I would not use M2 ball FMJ for hunting). First choice, handload from a reputable manual with a load that approximates M2 ball with a hunting bullet. I have several that list Garand loads separately. Or, 2, get a Schuester (sp.) gas plug vent and follow the directions (thus will allow you to use modern 30.06 hunting ammo w/o destroying your op rod).

ken chrestman
01-30-2012, 06:12 AM
Kenny;

Congratulations I heard it is a nice one. I loaded 150 grain bullets with 4895, that is what it was designed around, you DO NOT want hot powders like was mentioned about the op rod. Mine shot great, be sure to consult the loading manual for load info.

Ken Chrestman FEC 7147V

matt
01-30-2012, 06:40 AM
The 4895 powders(imr and H), 4064's, varget are all good powders for 150-168 grain bullets in the Garand.
Matt
Winslow's Battery D 1st NY LT Artillery 9775v

oscarlovel
01-30-2012, 08:31 AM
I use 47.5 gr. of IMR 4895 behind a Hornady 150 grain SP. Comes very clode to duplicating the Greek HXP ammo that CMP sells nowadays. Also shoots great in the A303 Springfield.

Eggman
01-30-2012, 11:57 AM
I was afraid this would happen. I sprained my ankle and took some pain killers --- the next thing I know I've morphed into some parallel universe of M-1 rifles, head space, and jacketed bullets. Save me O' forum monitor, save me!!!!!

John Holland
01-30-2012, 12:43 PM
Yes, I sympathize with you, but it just goes to show the members of the N-SSA are true competitors involved in many shooting disciplines. I'll bet that if you went over to the quarry at the Fort and challenged someone to a "Rock Throwing Contest" before long you would be swamped with poeple who think they could throw a rock farther than anyone else! Followed by "You know if you had the right lube on that rock it'd slice through the air with a higher velocity and thereby increase....."

They mean well with the M-1 thread, and are actually sharing important information with one another. With a bit of patience, I'm sure it will eventually move on to something else of it's own accord.

In the mean time, just sit back, close your eyes, massage your temples while repeating "Spring is only 7 weeks away....Spring is only 7 weeks away...."

JDH

Mike McDaniel
01-30-2012, 12:50 PM
Don't lube the rock. Stipple it. It'll cut the base drag and let you throw it farther than a smooth rock - they use the same principle on golf balls and smoothbore bullets.

John Holland
01-30-2012, 12:56 PM
Taken as intended....I think I've got a "Rock Stippler" around here somewhere....

Thanks Mike, I needed that, and am still laughing....of course I've got to go shovel snow now, so that'll wipe the smile off my face!

See you in the Spring!

JDH

hwaugh
01-30-2012, 02:16 PM
Well John, we had over 36" fall in just over seven hours. My shovel is still hot from shoveling. How did Buffalo do?

Harry Waugh - Terry's Texas Rangers - 3731

Eggman
01-30-2012, 02:36 PM
"Don't lube the rock --- " I've never heard anything like it!!! Why do you suppose they outlawed the spit ball from baseball??????
If you look hard enough you can find "pre-stippled" rocks. Can't argue with that point.
Well at least I never wander off the subject.

John Holland
01-31-2012, 11:40 AM
Harry -

See what happens when you brag about winning the "Snow War"....Mother Nature gives you another foot of the white stuff just to make sure you stay ahead of us! She likes you so much you're now a "Snow Emergency Area" ;)

Seriously, take care of yourself my friend, and let one of the local "Whipper-Snappers" move that 4 feet of snow for you.

JDH

Southron Sr.
01-31-2012, 10:19 PM
I was attending a PTA meeting and some idiot lady was carrying on about how "Bad" guns in school were. I told her: "Heck, the school I went to ISSUED EVERY STUDENT A RIFLE!"

Of course, I was referring to that Southern Military Academy I was sent to at the tender young age of 17. Uncle Sugar in the form of the U.S. Army ROTC issued me a Garand. On top of that, instructors taught me how to take it apart, clean it, march around with it, etc. Before I left that school, I could do the 'Manual of Arms' to perfection and could even spin a Garand like it was a baton.

I still have a Garand and occasionally shoot it in the range in the back yard. One afternoon, I had a bunch of friends visiting. I had one acquaintance say he couldn't shoot a Garand because he was afraid of the 'Kick.

I told him a Garand doesn't kick. I stepped up to the firing line and loaded my Garand. I just put the buttplate of my Garand on my Groin, then fired 8 rounds rapid fire [not exactly from the hip!]

Then I spun the now empty Garand, turned and said: "Kick, Kick, WHAT KICK? A Garand dosent KICK!"

Everyone was shocked by that little demonstration.

[Don't try this at home kids unless you know how to do it!]

IF YOU RELOAD FOR THE GARAND, realize you must use "Military Grade" primers! Very,Very Important.

The Garand firing pin is not restrained by a spring, so when the bolt slams forward and picks up another cartridge from the clip, when the bolt is closing, the firing pin can slam forward and indent the primer. IF you have a sensitive primer, the cartridge might fire before the bolt is locked closed! SO USE ONLY MILITARY GRADE PRIMERS FOR YOUR GARAND RELOADS.

Kick? A Garand doesn't Kick?

Eggman
02-01-2012, 10:57 AM
Which leads to the question, are the primers in off the shelf .30-06 hunting ammunition "military grade?"

matt
02-01-2012, 06:18 PM
Much more important than military spec primers is the seating depth. Seat your primers below flush and you will never have a problem with a properly working Garand. If you have a broken or stuck firing pin no primer military or commercial will make a difference and you will have a slam fire and probably more than one. Magnum or regular rifle primers only come into play due to your load. Ball powders usually need a magnum primer and if the conditions are very cold a mag primer is called for. CCI Mil Spec primers are nothing more than Mag primers.
Matt
Winslow's Battery D 1st NY LT Artillery 9775v

kennycarmichael
02-04-2012, 05:22 PM
Thanks Gentlemen:
I knew I would get pointed in the right direction. Now All I need to do is purchase a M84 Scope repro and then figure out how to get the cheek pad on. Didn't mean to scare anybody but I knew that Garand lovers were watching.
Thanks
Kenny Carmichael 7694V FEC