PDA

View Full Version : 1855 Artillery Model

oscarlovel
01-19-2012, 10:14 AM
To begin with, I no longer skirmish. I'd love to, but at this stage in my life, living in TX, it ain't going to happen. I do still enjoy my Sharps and muskets, though. All that is to preface that I'm seriously considering building a two band 1855 Artillery Model with the long range rear site. The only issue is that I've never built a musket before, though I have built other muzzleloaders. I know I can get a barrel from Whitacre and probably most of the lock parts and other hardware from Lodgewood. Not looking for absolute originality here, so I could even use an ArmiSport lock. Where do I find a proper stock? Not looking for a blank, but for an inletted stock that requires fitting and minor inletting. I see where Lodgewood has an 1855 on consignment that I would snap up in a "NY minute" except the fancy tiger striped maple stock does nothing for me. At any rate, I would appreciate any advice you can offer. I had an Armisport 1855 a while back and liked it well enough, but it was certainly a bit barrel heavy for my tastes. Since I do not shoot competition anymore, I've thought about buying one and changing out the barrel for the Whitacre artillery model and then cutting the stock down to fit. Viable?

Mike McDaniel
01-19-2012, 11:11 AM
Try Dunlap Woodcrafts. http://www.dunlapwoodcrafts.com/MilitaryStocks.php

Edwin Flint
01-19-2012, 11:15 AM
Dunlap makes very good stocks that are inletted for barrel and lock and trigger plate. Check with him. You can get his address from the web page sutlers list.