PDA

View Full Version : Need help on breachplug

Muley Gil
01-15-2012, 08:35 PM
I'm trying to fix up a cutdown 1863 Springfield rifle musket. The breachplug tang was broken at the hole. I picked up another plug at the Fall National. It was a tight fit and didn't line up completely. I compared the two and the original is about 1/8" shorter than the replacement I bought AND the face is angled.

Should I grind down the replacement plug, trade it back to the sutler in the spring, or...?

R Filbert
01-16-2012, 08:24 PM
About breach plug - you dont have to replace it as no 2 are the same -to fix the problem youmust file or gind the plug down a little at a time trying each time as to the fit when the tang comes to about the 11 or 10 position and snug fit then tighten in to place. Its the amount of theads that matter and where they start- might only take a small amount to get it in position.

Charlie Hahn
01-18-2012, 12:19 PM
Howdy,

Could you send me a picture and give me a call. I think I can help you.

Charlie Hahn
etb9601@gmail.com
410-208-4736

Eggman
01-18-2012, 02:05 PM
Exposed threads in the bore are always a no no. You might need to file the end of the barrel down so the plug threads go all the way in and hit bottom. Of course the tang needs to line up too, in your case at a specific point on the breach. Ah the vagarities of rebreaching after all the other barrel work has been done.
Any chance of welding the tang back on??

Muley Gil
01-18-2012, 08:42 PM
Charlie,

I sent you a picture from my e-mail, ass0mine1@yahoo.com . I also called and left a message on yore machine.

"Any chance of welding the tang back on??"

This rifle-gun came to me with a broken tang. Ain't nothin' TO weld. Thanks though.

Muley Gil
01-22-2012, 08:01 PM
I spoke with Charlie and he confirmed that what I was doing, filing the flats on the plug until it lined up, was correct.

Anyway, I got the breachplug fitted this evening.

Thanks to all for their posts.