PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Questions -- Starr carbine and old peep sights

abstruse1
01-08-2012, 07:16 PM
Yep, I'm pretty much of a newbie when it comes to shooting muzzle loaders, but I have decades of experience with cartridge guns...so maybe I'm not a hopeless newbie ;)

I also have a full machine shop and can make pretty much anything I need. For example, I've converted several old rimfire guns to centerfire, with only tiny alterations to the guns, so as to leave almost no visible changes if I want to go back to the original state.

Two questions:

1) I have an original Starr carbine that's in VG+ condition and I want to shoot it. Mine's a percussion, but I read that some were converted to cartridge guns. If anyone has experience with these guns, I'd really appreciate info on loads, best bullets, paper cartridge design, etc.

2) I've got old-guy eyes and shoot best with peep sights. I have several old rifles, muzzle loaders and cartridge guns, and would like to install peep sights on some of them. I won't modify an original gun unless I can do so without leaving traces if I remove the sight, but I don't mind modifying replicas.

So my question is, were peep sights used in the mid 1800s and later, and who makes replica sights that won't be ridiculously out of place on such guns?

Thanx, guys!

Abstruse1, aka Leef
Dallas, TX USA
Burnin' powder for 50 years!

Ken Hansgen, 11094
01-08-2012, 09:50 PM
1) Contact Richard Hill re. this Q at RHHillIam@yahoo.com.

2) Don't know anyone who makes em--you may have to make your own. N-SSA rules (14.9.1.d. and g.) permit this, so long as the outside dimensions of the sight hardware remain the same as an original. This subject has been discussed on this BB before. Contact George Gompf re. this. I'll try to find out his email address.

Edwin Flint
01-08-2012, 10:00 PM
First question, The Starrs that were rimfire cartridge were not "converted" but manufactured that way. I am not familar with any CF conversions of the Starr. They could be out there.

Second: There are several folks that make sight leafs that fit the original sight bases. We shooters frequently remove original sight leafs and replace them with the repro sights leafs and drill peeps, move notches etc. Lodgewood MFG. and S & S Firearms both have them available. You can find them trhrough the sutlers list on our main page.

I suspect that peeps were used in the Mid-late 1800s, but I have no documentation. Anyone know?

George Gompf
01-08-2012, 11:53 PM
Ken,
I can be reached at tnmolds@gmail.com. I believe you are referencing the peep sight drill guide I make that clamps to the rear sight. It allows you to sight in with a peep and then drill a leaf sight. If they will send an e-mail and I will be happy to assist.

See you at Cedartown.

Thanks
George Gompf,
Tennessee Bullet Molds

Ken Hansgen, 11094
01-09-2012, 02:36 PM
Geo., Yep, 'tho I was given your personal email address, which I was about to post here. No need now.