PDA

View Full Version : Load for Remington New Army revolver

Rlevin
01-08-2012, 07:49 AM
I have spent so much time trying to find a load for the Remington revolver, even my dog (if I had one) would bite me for not seeing me. The idea was to find a load that would go where the revolver is pointed since the sights are not adjustable and also present and excellent group. By trying different powders and loads I learned you can really tune where the ball will impact to the point of not needing adjustable sights. The final load (after too many) is 23 gr of Goex 4F and corn meal (enough to bring the ball to the mouth of the cylinder). I use a Hornady .454 ball and Remington #10 caps.I had tried Goex and Swiss and would rather use Swiss because it is much cleaner, but I had a can of 4F Goex and no 4F Swiss.I use Navy Arms lube, but any soft lube would do.So I hope this helps, but if nothing else it adds to the stack of loads for the Remington.God bless

Mike McDaniel
01-09-2012, 12:24 PM
Are you trying to get it to shoot to point of aim? If so, I'd suggest a new front sight. That being said, a sub-six hold will work better, as it will allow you to focus more strongly on the sight alignment.

Ron/The Old Reb
01-09-2012, 03:43 PM
Rlevin
Spend the money and get it accurized. Save yourself a lot of aggravation and time. You won't be sorry. It's rare to fine one that will shoot worth a dam out of the box.

Mike McDaniel
01-09-2012, 04:32 PM
Also quite true. It always shocked me to see Skirmishers spend $2K on a custom musket, $3K on a Romano carbine...and whine about spending more then $300 on a revolver. You aren't going to get top performance out of second-rate gear. And frankly, you can get into a top-quality revolver a lot cheaper than an equivalent musket or carbine.

Southron Sr.
01-09-2012, 08:26 PM
They are available from Dixie Gun Works but cost a lot. I have one of them. Far as I am concerned the Pietta "Shooters" revolver is the best around.

Fearless Frank
01-09-2012, 08:38 PM
You can buy a used Uberti for a couple of hundred. Then sent it to Tri-L and have Rob work it up. I love mine. Why spend alot up front when Rob will change the barrel away.
Walt

Gary Van Kauwenbergh, 101
01-10-2012, 06:41 AM
People usually don't use 4F powder for anything but priming their frizen pans. 23 grains of 4F in a Revolver sounds like too much pressure to me. Be safe.

BTW. I shoot 24 grains of 2F with a conical bullet in my Remington. No filler.

John Holland
01-10-2012, 09:44 AM
I like Mike's comment on how much people will spend on longarms v.s. how much they spend on a revolver. But, the truth of the matter is that, most $300 revolvers will shoot better than the majority of the people who shoot them!

JDH

Joe Plakis, 9575V
01-10-2012, 10:54 AM
I represent what John said :(.

Mike McDaniel
01-10-2012, 03:07 PM
I like Mike's comment on how much people will spend on longarms v.s. how much they spend on a revolver. But, the truth of the matter is that, most $300 revolvers will shoot better than the majority of the people who shoot them!

JDH
Still, it's very hard to develop both the skill and the confidence to shoot well without hardware that you can trust.

Maillemaker
01-10-2012, 03:50 PM
But, the truth of the matter is that, most $300 revolvers will shoot better than the majority of the people who shoot them!

Yup.

Only twice in my life have I owned a firearm where I was more accurate than it was. Once was a Springfield Armoury 1911 GI model - I discovered how a 1911 can shoot after shooting a friends Colt Series 80 1911. I sold the GI after that. The second was my Euroarms 1853 Enfield I picked up off of Gunbroker. Darn thing had a .584 bore and I could never find a round/charge combo that produced good groups off of a bench. I ended up getting a replacement Whitacre barrel for it.

Steve

Ron/The Old Reb
01-11-2012, 08:28 AM
In the fifty years that I have been shooting handguns I have learned two things. If you want to be serious about it. Buy a good accurized gun, custom or factor tuned. And practice, practice, practice, practice.