PDA

View Full Version : Harmonics/Bands

shilohzowie
01-29-2009, 02:55 PM
In layman terms could someone explain the affects of barrell bands being too tight or too loose? What are the signs of either condition? How tight is too tight and vise-versa? And just what is harmonics and are all of these conditions related? Easy on my noggin'. Thank you.

Scott Kurki, 12475
01-30-2009, 07:13 AM
Just Google "barrel harmonics" and you will have plenty of both layman's and technical information to sift through.

As for barrel bands and bedding the barrel, there are a few different schools of thought. Some believe that the bands should be loose while others believe they should be tight. Since we cannot use harmonic balancers in our sport, you will just have to experiment to find out what works best with your particular gun. All guns are different, you might have one that likes tight bands and another that does not.

hobbler
01-31-2009, 09:15 PM
In real terms how much change in group size can barrel harmonics on musket barrels produce?

David Disher 12143
02-02-2009, 07:07 AM
From what I have been able to read so far, the change will be discernable when you have the right combination of band tightness and bedding. Its a pretty neat science. Some of the testing showed groups tightened considerably when the right adjustments are made. Just what those are is where the work is.

Ddisher
110thOVI

R Filbert
02-02-2009, 06:46 PM
Here it is plaain and simple-loose barrels dont shoot well -Just my opinion though- but heres what I do to all my rifles use accura glass beding and bed the barrel kind of heavy- but not to much! bed tang area as well using plety of release on screws and such including bottom of barrel and lock area being careful not to get to much in lock recess nothin worse than stuck parts! Once glass is spread into barrel grove in stock and tang area-sparingly in this area-with all parts coated with release agent-set barrel into stock but dont squeeze it in! coat inside of bands with release and slde them into possition.You may have to gently squeeze upper part near nose cap so as to get a good fit at cap- but not to hard! You want the bands to be snug-not tight! as this can pull the barrel upward changing point of impact so snug will do- Now coat tang screw carefuly and clean out any access beading from screw hole and tighten screw to just about 11:00 position a fuzz more depending on how tightly it goes down I like all my screws in the 6-12 position so theres no doubt the barrel is in position or tight. Dont over tighten! just enogh to make the tang flush with wood.Set aside for about2-3 houres and scrap off exess beading with a sharpend pop cicle stick - let it harden over nite next day-carefuly! Remove bands and tang screw using a good quality gun smith screwdriver-Hollow ground not tapered! they damage screws! Next remove lock also be careful! I like my lock screws in the 9-3 position put every thing back the same way each time It does help! Now the tricky part -remove barrel from the stock carefully if it dosnt come -chill it it if you can once out clean it inspect beading for flaws-small imperfections wont hurt accuacy put it all back together making sure nothing got into lock mortise-if so use a sharp chisle to remove excess- set screws where I stated -oil it up SHOOT away. should have a good to exelent target off the bench.IT does help! Forgot to mention ramrod spoons! If youre stock has a spoon fill void with modling clay and clean out afterwads when barrel is removed.Hope this sheds some light on what you are asking/ Happy shootin! See Yall in the spring !R Filbert Hazelwood 7519 :P