PDA

View Full Version : Release agents

Lou Lou Lou
01-05-2012, 07:50 AM
I know that when glass bedding there are release agents that can be used.
I am comtemplating using some JB weld on a fella's gun to fill in an overly large cavern under the nipple.
The caps fire, but the gun doesn't go off. I want to jury rig something to protect the cleanout channel and need a releas agent so It will come out and create a "fire channel"

Does this sound feasable? Any suggestions are welcome, before I mess it up.

Greg Ogdan 110th OVI
01-05-2012, 08:35 AM
Lou, why not run a test using Johnson's paste floor wax, or a good shoe polish? Just a thought.

Jim Brake 3587
01-05-2012, 09:36 AM
Lou, It sounds like you're trying to fix the cavity under a repo. Smith nipple. If so, I've had a great deal of sucess repairing that problem by fitting it with a grade 8 bolt, drilled dead center and fitted into the bolster threads. Of course there's a lot more info needed. If thats your problem call me at 540-450-7734 and I'll give you all the details......Jim Brake

gmkmd
01-05-2012, 12:34 PM
Hey Lou,
My go-to repair product is well-chewed bubble gum. I prefer Bazooka, regular flavor.

Lou Lou Lou
01-05-2012, 02:20 PM
Yes, it is a repro Smith carbine. When is the best time to call. Jim?

Thanks for the responses.

Jim Brake 3587
01-05-2012, 05:06 PM
Lou, It's best to call around 6:00 in the evening or around 7;00 in the morning which ever is best for you.....Jim B.

Charlie Hahn
01-06-2012, 11:35 AM
Just to add my opinion on this type of repair. Jim has a good approach with a steel fix. The use of JB Weld in this application is not a good candidate. The binder in the material is epoxy/plastic. In a high temperature, high velocity gas situation the erosion rate will be very high, and the material will enter the fire channel. The issue in fixing this area of the bolster is a little bit of an engineering challange. The addition of a grade 8 bolt in the bolster is a good idea, how ever the bolster will need to one of two things done. Either to deepen the current taped area where the nipple is installed, and tap to the bottom to allow a short section of the bolt to be added. This could have a negative effect as you could go to deep and loose the integrity of the bolster wall. Another possibility is to produce a threaded bucket that would be about the size of the helicoil repair used to fix this area. The bucket would need to made from material that is compatible with the nipple threads, and have a solid bottom. Good candidates for this are 304/316 stainless steel material, as thin sections supported by the remaining bolster with a good thread locking compound will provide for a perminate repair.The is more detail that needs to be developed for this, so it is not a repair that can be done in most home shops.Charlie

Lou Lou Lou
01-07-2012, 09:16 AM
Thanks to everyone for their suggestions. I spoke with Jim and mailed out the package this morning. I agree, it is the best method.

Eggman
01-07-2012, 11:18 AM
Lou: I haven't been following this thread. Are you looking for like a bail bondsman??

Lou Lou Lou
01-07-2012, 12:24 PM
Yes, please send me $5,000 so I can get release and I will pay you back a dollar a week, with 10% interest

snapcap14
01-07-2012, 08:13 PM
Lou Lou LOU!! are you wintering well???

Lou Lou Lou
01-08-2012, 08:50 AM
Fat and Sassy, as ever:p Trying to get one of my teamies into the game. See you in March at Glastonbury, or next week in Wallingford.