PDA

View Full Version : 1861 Springfield

Beaver
01-02-2012, 11:31 AM
I found a musket that is a little beat up but can't find to much information on it. The gun is a 1861 springfield but I am more wondering on how you can tell if it is a reproduction or an original made between the production years of 1861-1864?

The gun has a springfield on the side with 1861 a little farther back. I couldn't find anything else on the gun.

Thanks for any help

John Holland
01-02-2012, 03:35 PM
If you can do it, some good photos might help.
JDH

Southron Sr.
01-02-2012, 08:11 PM
Yep, pictures are definitely necessary. If the barrel is stamped "Black Powder Only" then it is definitely a reproduction.

Usually, but not always, the stocks of original guns exhibit a bit of shrinkage and the wood grain pattern will be pronounced.

Now, to further complicate the issue, Re-enactors "defarb" replicas so all of their markings are identical to the markings found on original rifles!

rachbobo
01-04-2012, 03:41 PM
To the best of my knowledge and the ones I have come across, the imported replicas use metric threads for the screws.
I you have or can get a thread pitch gauge you can measure to see if they are metric or not.
Another way is to take let's say a screw that holds the lock plate out and go to Home Depot or alike. They usually have a display of metric and standard nuts on a board you can try them in to find out the size and pitch.

Bill Cheek
Cockade Rifles