PDA

View Full Version : Musketoon Advice?

Steamguy
01-29-2009, 02:33 PM
Since I sold my PH musketoon last year, I have had thoughts about getting another Musketoon. PH"s if found are too expensive for this retiree. Any thoughts, hints or advice would be helpful.
Mike Pierce

Bruce Cobb 1723V
01-29-2009, 02:52 PM
Please let me know how much you are willing to pay for a good P H carbine. I may know of one.

RaiderANV
01-29-2009, 09:44 PM
Mike,

Best advise is to just LEASE ah Maynard carbine :!:

8)

Joe Plakis, 9575V
01-30-2009, 09:03 AM
I like the Richmond better than the Enfield. The biggest difference is the drop in the stock, which for me makes it less abusive on my cheek and forearm.

As for getting one they are a bit pricey, but if you decide to make one they can be cheap to acquire. You can make one out of two different guns.

1861 Springfield Conversion- involves cutting the barrel back to 25 inches, cutting the stock back, moving the middle band back and band spring, replacing the steel nosecap with a brass one and adding a swing swivel to the buttstock.
You would only need to buy a brass nosecap and swing swivel.

Richmond Conversion- involves cutting the barrel back to 25 inches, cutting the stock back, moving the middle band and band spring back and adding a swing swivel to the buttstock.
You would only need to buy a swing swivel.

Most cut the barrel back to 25.5 inches so that you can recrown and cut back the barrel if needed
I have made a couple of carbines this way with the cost being anywhere from $350 to $600 and have also made a few out of original guns that we cut back as shotguns costing from $400 and up.
It takes very little woodworking skill, you just need to take your time.

Email if you have any questions- pigboyjp@juno.com

Joe Plakis, 9575V
01-30-2009, 09:03 AM
I like the Richmond better than the Enfield. The biggest difference is the drop in the stock, which for me makes it less abusive on my cheek and forearm.

As for getting one they are a bit pricey, but if you decide to make one they can be cheap to acquire. You can make one out of two different guns.

1861 Springfield Conversion- involves cutting the barrel back to 25 inches, cutting the stock back, moving the middle band back and band spring, replacing the steel nosecap with a brass one and adding a swing swivel to the buttstock.
You would only need to buy a brass nosecap and swing swivel.

Richmond Conversion- involves cutting the barrel back to 25 inches, cutting the stock back, moving the middle band and band spring back and adding a swing swivel to the buttstock.
You would only need to buy a swing swivel.

Most cut the barrel back to 25.5 inches so that you can recrown and cut back the barrel if needed.

I have made a couple of carbines this way with the cost being anywhere from $350 to $600 and have also made a few out of original guns that we cut back as shotguns costing from $400 and up.
It takes very little woodworking skill, you just need to take your time.

Email if you have any questions- pigboyjp@juno.com

Steamguy
01-30-2009, 10:17 AM
How about the knock offs, are they worth looking into?
Mike

Bill Jefford, 1511V
01-30-2009, 11:32 AM
E Mail sent

Bill Jefford