PDA

View Full Version : base seperations

silverfox
12-27-2011, 04:27 PM
Some re-enactor friends of mine told me of a problem they had with minie's when they were shooting this past fall. Now they are re-enactors and as far as I know they only live fire once a year. The problem they had was two different muskets had the last ring on the minie seperate when they fired and blocking the flash hole. They said the bullets looked ok but I have a feeling that something is wrong with the bullets since two different muskets had the same problem. Wrinkles in the bullets, or hard lead came to mind. Anybody out there who may have had this problem? Thanks, John

Francis J. Miller Jr, 02601
12-27-2011, 04:51 PM
Silverfox,

The problem may or may not be the minie ball but the musket itself. I have talked with other skirmisher's a while back that certain muskets with "patent breeches" can separate the skirt when the powder charge is light allowing the bottom ring of the minie to expand into the gap between the face of the breech plug and the barrel. Using a little more powder in the charge to put the minie above the gap aleviated the problem. That is not saying this is the problem, just an opinion. I think there should be some more information supplied to really pinpoint the problem. Hope this helps some what.

Ken Hansgen, 11094
12-27-2011, 07:28 PM
Are they using any lube? Reenactors may not be aware of the need for this.

Reenactor muskets that fire many blanks tend to get bore erosion in the breech area that can pull off a skirt; or the bore may nor have been properly cleaned.

Another possible cause is a poorly cast minie.

Herb is right; more information is needed.

Edwin Flint
12-27-2011, 10:37 PM
Bad bullets may be a problem, but I agree with Ken. Breach gas erosion is common in re-enactor weapons. These guns are designed to shoot bullet, not to fire blanks. Many re-enactor guns develope gas erosion in the breach. What happens is the gas in the breach after ignition cuts into the breach walls since it is not compressed. Over time this causes the chamber/breach area to become ovate, larger than the bore. The minie expands into the wider area and the gas forces the bullet head forward and erosion pulls the skirt off. Many re-enactor "shooting wounds" are caused by skirts loosening up and flying down range.

More info is needed to be certain.

efritz
12-28-2011, 09:54 AM
All of the above is true. I had a 3 band Numrich with a patent breech that pulled skirts and fouled. Been shooting the same bullet for 40 + years in other muzzle loaders with no problems. I will admit the bullet does have a thin skirt and it is a biggun. Almost 600 gr. wadcutter. I don't profess to know how much powder re-enactors use, but I hear they like to do and use what was used back then. Too much powder may also contribute. Again, more info is warranted.

Blair
12-28-2011, 03:18 PM
Hi Ed,

Yes, this subject can be and is a major issue with and between shooter and reenacter types. Two very different approaches to a similar sport/hobby.
Shooters consider it a 'sport'... reenacters consider it a 'hobby'. (Maybe that says something about the two?)
Shooter types pay close attention to cleaning an maintenance of their weapons. This comes from the idea that they what the arm to shoot equally well the next time they are out.
The reenacter types are interested in doing a field manual cleaning, and simply don't know the difference in some cases, and simply don't care in other case.
As long as their play toy blows smoke when they need it to... why should they care? (Cleaning? well that is another story altogether.)
Sorry, this doesn't answerer the question about "base separation", It may however explain why stuff (****) happens.
Blair

silverfox
12-28-2011, 05:47 PM
Hey guys, thanks for the info so far. I e-mailed the re-enactor to get more info. Hopefully when I get more info, I'll pass it on and maybe solve this problem or at least make them aware.
Happy New Year and a good year skirmishing!
John (aka) silverfox