PDA

View Full Version : Pedersoli Sharps mould?

Dave Fox
12-22-2011, 01:13 PM
Found on another forum assertion Pedersoli was to produce the Ideal / Lyman Sharps ringtail #557489 bullet mould. I can't sort out how to make an inquiry of Pedersoli. Any ideas or insights? Thanks.

Greg Ogdan 110th OVI
12-22-2011, 03:08 PM
Dave,
Pedersoli has a web site with a place to email them with comments or questions. That might be the best place to start as you should get the info " straight from the horses mouth".

bobanderson
12-23-2011, 11:07 AM
I bought a used Pedersoli Sharps mould off the bargain table from a sutler who shall remain nameless (but operates in the Miami Valley of Ohio - just kidding, Mike) to try in a Sharps carbine. The mould had almost the same profiles as the bullet recommended by Dave France and produced years ago by Tom LaGoe. The mould cast bullets at about 550 grains and had a ringtail that was too large for the Hahn tubes. I decided to experiment and cut the ringtail base off, which resulted in a nice bullet of about 490 grains that shoots great in my Pedersoli Sharps.

Here's the caution part. I left it in the garage at my casting station, along with my various Lyman, RCBS, Saeco and Rapine moulds, and in the space of a couple of weeks, the mould became so rusty and pitted that it is almost junk. (I have never had this problem with my other moulds.) With that said, it still shoots well, but I'll never buy another Pedersoli mould.

If you can't find the Lyman, I think you'd be further ahead going to a custom mould maker like Steve Brooks (http://brooksmoulds.com/) and have a good one made exactly to the dimensions you want.

Greg Ogdan 110th OVI
12-23-2011, 12:44 PM
FWIW, if you're looking just for a mould that will make a good sharps bullet, I have an extra Rapine 475gr Sharps mould. I find that bullet in front of 50g FFGoex shoots to the ladder sight detents on my Pedersoli Sharps Infantry rifle.

Dave Fox
12-23-2011, 03:23 PM
Greg; PM sent.

Dave Fox
12-23-2011, 07:12 PM
Greg: I'm VERY interested in your mould. Please e-mail me w/ terms. thanks.

Jim Brake 3587
12-23-2011, 08:33 PM
If you haven't sold that rapine mold I would like to buy it ...Jim Brake....540-450-7734...Thanks

gemmer
12-25-2011, 10:05 AM
I bought a used Pedersoli Sharps mould off the bargain table from a sutler who shall remain nameless (but operates in the Miami Valley of Ohio - just kidding, Mike) to try in a Sharps carbine. The mould had almost the same profiles as the bullet recommended by Dave France and produced years ago by Tom LaGoe. The mould cast bullets at about 550 grains and had a ringtail that was too large for the Hahn tubes. I decided to experiment and cut the ringtail base off, which resulted in a nice bullet of about 490 grains that shoots great in my Pedersoli Sharps.

Here's the caution part. I left it in the garage at my casting station, along with my various Lyman, RCBS, Saeco and Rapine moulds, and in the space of a couple of weeks, the mould became so rusty and pitted that it is almost junk. (I have never had this problem with my other moulds.) With that said, it still shoots well, but I'll never buy another Pedersoli mould.

If you can't find the Lyman, I think you'd be further ahead going to a custom mould maker like Steve Brooks (http://brooksmoulds.com/) and have a good one made exactly to the dimensions you want.

How did you cut off the base and keep the bottom square? I tried doing that and found it rather tedious. I think some sort of jig is needed if I'm going to do a number of bullets.

Duane

bobanderson
12-26-2011, 06:54 AM
I have a tabletop milling machine. That and a "what the heck" attitude will get you involved in all kinds of neat projects.

John Holland
12-26-2011, 08:28 AM
If I understand you correctly, you machined the top off the mould so as to eliminate the ring tail when the bullet is cast?
JDH