PDA

View Full Version : 1861 Parker-Hale Carbine Load

B-Davis
12-21-2011, 11:53 AM
Hello All!
I know I may be opening a can of worms, but I am curious as to what the P-H carbine shooters are shooting in terms of powder charge/bullet load. I have a wonderful unfired musketoon, and I am leaning toward the RCBS Hodgon bullet sized to .577. (It fits nicely when placed on top of the bore) I am just curious as to powder charge. I am curious as to what other bullets are being used for future refrence too! I am not worried about lube! I have a good mix and don't want to open that can-o-worms up!
Thanks for any input!

Bryan M. Davis
149th Pa Vol. Infan.

Southron Sr.
12-21-2011, 01:55 PM
With the Hogdon Bullet, experiment with loads between 42 to 54 Grains of FFFg. You will find a load that produces very small groups.

Hint: For best accuracy: (1) Make sure your Tang Screw is tight. (2) Glass bed your carbine (3) Do a "lock job" to reduce your trigger pull to 3 or 4 pounds. [Warning, get someone who knows how to do a lock job on an Enfield. If the job is done improperly, the carbine will catch of the "Half-Cock" notch when you try to shoot.]

B-Davis
12-21-2011, 02:12 PM
Dear Southron,
I have the tang screw tight, I have already glassbeded, and I have done the lock work, the trigger is at 3.75 lbs. I am just curious as to what charge other shooters are using. I have finally converted over to 3f Goex from 2f, and just trying to figure out what is working best for others. Thank you for your suggestions though!
Bryan

Blair
12-21-2011, 03:05 PM
B-Davis,

How about giveing the folks here an idea of what you have tried?
There is no reason for them to repeat their experiances to you, when it is something you have already tried or done.

B-Davis
12-21-2011, 04:14 PM
Blair,
I have tried trashcan (A Jupiter mould I think) with 40 grains of 2f, it shot great. I have tried the lyman old style with 44 grn. of 2f, shot great. I used the rapine old style with 46 grn. 2f, once again it shot great! It is just that my other three rifles shoot the RCBS at .577 and they all have Whitaker (?) barrels on them. This P-H has a bore that is in perfect condition, and I have not shot a P-H in competition in about 10 years.
I also am switching over to 3f, Goex. Fortunatly all three of the other rifles all take the same load with the same bullet 46 grns. 3f with the RCBS Hodgon. I have a feeling that this combo is going to work for the musketoon also, but I am just curious what others are shooting. I am looking to stream-line the bullet making process: ie- Can I cast just one bullet for all four and have the same charge? I am also wondering if it might be worth looking for a Wilkinson compression bullet for all four rifles in the long run, and how well it might work and what charges would be work well.
Thanks for the questions though, it does help clarify the question to other viewers.
Bryan

bilge water bob
12-27-2011, 05:53 AM
B.Davis,

I just got a PH musketoon recently and i need to go through the same process. I'll keep you up dated as to what works for me. I'm starting with a .575/510 rapine old style minie sized to .576 with 40gr fffg, if that doesn't work well I'll start playing around with the hodgdon .578 sized down.

DaveC
12-29-2011, 08:16 PM
In the past, when i shot a musketoon, I would use the Parker Hale Lyman bullet sized to .576 with 40 grains of Goex 3F.