PDA

View Full Version : Sharps restoration

Dave Fox
12-18-2011, 05:55 PM
Sorry to belabor the forum, but with Winter comes the desire to do projects. I have a Sharps New Model 1863 carbine I acquired in 1960 for $60.00 (or 120 mown lawns at fifty cents a pop). It's solid, unspectacular, and I've enjoyed recreationally shooting it over the years. Problem is: it leaks gas at the breach like a constipated Guernsey heifer. The breach block plate is badly eroded in a splash pattern and the breach of the barrel is corroded. The breach faceplate can, of course, be replaced, but the barrel breach...? Perhaps screwing the barrel back a turn and refacing it? Is there anyone out there who restores original sharps to shooting specs?

Phil Spaugy, 3475V
12-18-2011, 06:54 PM
Sorry to belabor the forum, but with Winter comes the desire to do projects. I have a Sharps New Model 1863 carbine I acquired in 1960 for $60.00 (or 120 mown lawns at fifty cents a pop). It's solid, unspectacular, and I've enjoyed recreationally shooting it over the years. Problem is: it leaks gas at the breach like a constipated Guernsey heifer. The breach block plate is badly eroded in a splash pattern and the breach of the barrel is corroded. The breach faceplate can, of course, be replaced, but the barrel breach...? Perhaps screwing the barrel back a turn and refacing it? Is there anyone out there who restores original sharps to shooting specs?

Dave,

I would recommend you contact Charlie Hahn. He does great work on Sharps in a very timely manner.

Charlie Hahn <etb9601@gmail.com>

propertymanager
12-19-2011, 05:55 AM
I would also endorse Charlie's work. He reworked a relic 1863 for me. He made a 1 piece breechblock, had the barrel relined, and made a peep sight slide for it. It shoots excellent-less than 1" group at 50yds, and about 1.5" at 100yds.
Very fast turnaround also.

Tim

Dave Fox
12-19-2011, 04:06 PM
Taking the good advice, I've just had the pleasure of talking to Mr. Hahn and we're doing business.