PDA

View Full Version : Armisport Mainspring

Ashland Grays
12-18-2011, 02:19 PM
Are there any reliable gunsmiths out there who can replace a broken Armisport mainspring, preferably with a better made part ? I need to send this thing out and have it back by mid. January.

Southron Sr.
12-18-2011, 02:53 PM
Sounds like you just got a "Bad" mainspring as I have worked with several Armi Sport Enfields and they all had fine springs in them.

The cheapest route: Order a replacement Armi Sport mainspring from The Winchester Sutler or Lodgewood Mfg. You can "Google" up the address of the websites. You should be able to easily replace that mainspring using a small Vise Grip plier or mainspring vise. About the only weapon mechanically simpler than a musket is a spear!

A good Gunsmith: Tom Hunger. Again, just Google up his website "The Winchester Sutler." He lives on a mountain top [and his shop is there] just a few miles behind Fort Shenandoah. He can replace that mainspring for you if you desire.

R Filbert
01-11-2012, 03:57 PM
Robert here Just lettin u know that Taylors an company are here in winchester an I do beleive that those springs will work -If u have a 55 nipple wrench this is a good tool for removing the spring but wont compress it- a mainspring vise is needed U can probably get 1 of those from tom the gunsmith at Taylors also. Need any help just ask

Muley Gil
01-11-2012, 08:59 PM
"u have a 55 nipple wrench this is a good tool for removing the spring but wont compress it-"

Most of the open ended nipple wrenches you see are actually mainspring vises. To use, you remove your lock, bring the hammer to full cock, slide the open end of the nipple wrench/vise onto the compressed spring as far as it will go. Uncock the hammer and unhook the spring from the stirrup and set the wrench/vise to the side.

mb3
01-12-2012, 10:08 PM
I use a set of vise grip pliers I gound the teeth off, to compress the mainspring.