PDA

View Full Version : Richmond Carbine build question

Fauch125
12-14-2011, 05:31 PM
I'm looking for advice from anyone with experience building a Richmond Carbine- 1861 Springfield Variant (This is a Razeed battlefield salvaged arm). Where can I find a brass nosecap that will fit the barrel radius at 22.5 inches on a cut down '61 barrel? I assume this is a different size than either the 3 band richmond nose cap or the original richmond carbine barrel taper? Lodgewood and S&S don't specify, just list a brass nose cap under confederate arms. I'm also looking for a source for a pinched front sight that would be tall enough for N-SSA competition. Thanks in advance for your attention,
Jon Faucher
jonathan.faucher@verizon.net

Blair
12-14-2011, 05:45 PM
Just a thought...Try the Repro Remington "Zouave" forend cap?

Fauch125
12-14-2011, 06:38 PM
At first glance looks like a winner in the size department, and less expensive to boot! Thannks Blair

Dave Fox
12-15-2011, 05:25 AM
I've read Richmond Armoury used their brass rifle-musket nosecaps on their musketoons. To fit, they placed the cap on the musketoon barrel where it was to fit and belabored it with a mallet to spread the nosecap's edges.

Fauch125
12-15-2011, 12:29 PM
Dave, thanks for the message, especially the historical reference. I've got Paul Davies book on order.

Southron Sr.
12-15-2011, 02:01 PM
I have built a couple of Richmond Carbines over the years.

1. Dave Fox's advice is good as a regular brass Richmond Nose Cap can easily be modified to fit per Dave's instructions.

2. Don't mess with the taper of the barrel-otherwise it won't fit in the "Razeed" stock!

3. S & S sells replicas of the "Pinched" Richmond front sights.

4. You will also need an additional sling swivel for your Richmond Carbine.

GOOD LUCK

Blair
12-15-2011, 04:03 PM
Sotheron Sr,

Great reply!
The BFH (Big F-n hammer) is not a good fit to fix for a cast brass nose cap for or to an arltered '61 to a Richnomd carbine.
One wont know this, until one tries it with a cast brass nose cap.
Just a thought,

BADSHOT
12-15-2011, 05:02 PM
Begging the pardon of the previous post, I've made many Richmond carbines, and never had a problem spreading them, although I don't use the hammer method anymore, now I simply put in a vice wrapped with leather, and tighten the nosecap around the barrel, an inch or so below where the nose will eventually fit, this way you get a couple frog hairs of room around the nosecap.

Not a big deal, if you want, I'll spread it for free for you-Steve