PDA

View Full Version : 1841 Mississippi

Moses Milner
12-04-2011, 04:58 PM
Hello all--
I have a EOA Mississippi rifle. Instead of just standing upright as on the 1842 musket, the top of the hammer is "swept back," kind of like what Thompson Center did with their locks sometime in the 80's.
My question: Did some of the originals have this feature? I've not been able to locate a picture of an original with a hammer like that one.
Info, anyone?
Thanks!
Moses Milner

ms3635v
12-05-2011, 08:34 AM
Hey Moses,

I just checked my EOA Mississippi and the top of the hammer is not swept back as you have described in your post, it stands straight up.

Moses Milner
12-06-2011, 09:43 AM
Thanks Mike.
I was asking about originals, though. I know that EOA made them with hammers in both styles, but I don't know why they would have done that unless...Who knows.
Anybody have any answers?
Thanks again.
Mose

John Holland
12-06-2011, 12:54 PM
The original Model 1841 Rifles all had the same hammer with a vertical thumb spur. They were all the same because they were gauged to have interchangeable parts. If you ever see an original with a hammer thumb spur that is swept back, it will be an after market alteration by parties unknown.

JDH

Blair
12-06-2011, 04:01 PM
I agree with John.
I am not familar with a swepted back hammer disigne on Euroarms products for this Model.

I have seen this concept on other makers and manufacrures. These were usually some form of sporterized variation and might be found on parts and pieces that have been changed or otherwise altered from the original disigne for this configuration of reproduction.
This is the best suggestion I have to offer you in your quest.

Moses Milner
12-06-2011, 11:02 PM
Thanks guys. That's good info.
Mose

StrawHat
12-09-2011, 07:06 AM
New guy here, I have an 1841 (built in Italy possibly Zoli,) and I need the internal lock parts. Are there sutlers who advertise on the Forum? I would prefer to replace the internals with stuff I can get locally rather than the softer parts I need to order from Italy. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

I do not intend to sidetrack this thread but I was not sure where else to post my request.

Phil Spaugy, 3475V
12-09-2011, 07:42 AM
New guy here, I have an 1841 (built in Italy possibly Zoli,) and I need the internal lock parts. Are there sutlers who advertise on the Forum? I would prefer to replace the internals with stuff I can get locally rather than the softer parts I need to order from Italy. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

I do not intend to sidetrack this thread but I was not sure where else to post my request.

Try:

http://www.lodgewood.com/

Bill Mcconnell
12-09-2011, 09:45 AM
I have been looking for parts for a Zoli lock for a couple of years (for a Zouave). None of the Sutlers have had these parts. The parts they do have for Zouaves and Mississippi's do not work on a Zoli lockplate. If someone has tumbler/sear please let me know.

Ken Hansgen, 11094
12-09-2011, 09:35 PM
Bill, A more appropriate place for your post would be as a new thread (WTB) under the "Wanted/For Sale items" above. That might get it more attention. (Sorry the way this may sound to you; just trying to be helpful.)

pastore
12-10-2011, 10:29 AM
I have been looking for parts for a Zoli lock for a couple of years (for a Zouave). None of the Sutlers have had these parts. The parts they do have for Zouaves and Mississippi's do not work on a Zoli lockplate. If someone has tumbler/sear please let me know.

I have a complete new lock that I would be willing to sell. I have no way of knowing the manufacturer.

Moses Milner
12-10-2011, 08:33 PM
Fletcher, how much are you asking for the lock?
Mose

pastore
12-11-2011, 01:19 AM
Fletcher, how much are you asking for the lock?
Mose

I'll take $70 for it.

StrawHat
12-12-2011, 07:42 AM
Try:

http://www.lodgewood.com/

Thank you, I will giv ehem a shout.

I have rebuilt other locks (non military) using Siler parts and such but never a military styled lock.

Bill Mcconnell
12-14-2011, 11:45 AM
Pastore, sent you a pm