PDA

View Full Version : 1:48 Twist at 200 & 300 yards

Buck
11-04-2011, 09:53 PM
Hello. I have an ArmiSport reproduction Springfield Model 1855 - it has the long range sight, 3 band rifle musket, with a rate of twist 1:48. It's good for shooting at 100 yards. I am interested in shooting at some distances that are further than that. How do muskets with this rate of twist shoot at longer distances of 200 & 300 yards? Thanks for any input/advice.

Blair
11-05-2011, 03:48 PM
Buck,

As far as I have been able to tell... the longer, therefore heavier bullets work best in these faster twist rated bores.
I can't tell you which of these bullet types or disignes work best. This is something that you will have to work out for yourself and what maybe available as far as moulds are concerned.
I can tell you that I am not found of the recoil produced by these heavier bullets.
I hope you find this info helpful,
Blair

Pat in Virginia
11-05-2011, 05:09 PM
Buck,

The British used the 1:48 twist in the 1858 Naval Enfield. It was considered to be far more accurate at say 600 yards that was the model 1853 Enfield with its 1:72 inch, or something like that, twist. However, it also went to 5 grooves rather than the three of the model 1853 Enfield. Don't know how much difference the 3 vs. 5 groove barrel makes. Also, the Brits fired ungrooved, swaged, paper patched bullets in their rifles. That's what the CSA snipers loved to get their hands on.

Today at the long range muzzle loading world championships you will find 1:16 inch twists and 1:18 dominate. But, in that case we are talking about .451 bores.

Bobby Hoyt has just relined (had a belled muzzle) a cut-down (probably in the late 1800s in Pakistan perhaps or who knows where), original otherwise, 1853 Enfield, 2nd contract, rifle (now carbine) for me with a 1:48, 5 groove, 26.5 inch barrel but I have not had a chance to work with it yet.

If you want to get more information on such rifles go to the MLAGB (Muzzle Loaders Assn of Great Britain) website and forum and nose around. But, I warn you in advance, if you do, you may get bit by the ML-Enfield bug.

Pat

marv762
11-07-2011, 09:30 PM
I shoot a 510 grain rapine minnie at 200 yards without any problems. I can hold my group in a 100 yard musket target. using 48 grains of 2ffg goex powder. Marv

Buck
11-08-2011, 07:48 PM
Thanks everyone for your thoughts. I have been shooting an ArmiSport Springfield Model 1855 with a 1:48 rate of twist at 200 & 300 yards. At 200 yards I have to aim 2 feet to the left to hit the target on center. At 300 yards I have to aim 5 & 1/2 feet to the left to hit the target on center. I was wondering if others had to do the same. I am shooting a 525 grain minie with 60 grains of 2F at 200 yards and 60 grains of 3F at 300 yards. Another shooter suggested if I reduced the powder charges I would have less deviation. So, I was wondering if anyone else with a 1:48 rate of test was experiencing the same thing. Thanks.

Southron Sr.
11-17-2011, 11:54 PM
The main reason one should increase or decrease the powder charge is to find which particular powder charge gives the smallest group "off the bench" at 100 yards. Generally, muzzleloaders have a "Magic" powder brand/powder granulation/powder charge/bullet combination that will allow them to shoot very small groups, everything else being equal.

One thing for sure: DECREASING your powder charge will require you to hold MORE ELEVATION for those 300 Yard shots.

WHAT I SUGGEST:

[1] Experiment to find your guns "Magic" combination that gives you the smallest groups.

[2] Adjust your sights so your gun shoots "Point of Aim." If you have the "Flip Up" 3 Leaf Rear Sight, then this might require you drilling a hole in one of the leafs for a "Peep" sight. If you have a "Long Range Real Sight" with the flip up ladder, then you might have to drill a hole in the sliding bar.

Fearless Frank
11-18-2011, 06:03 PM
Maybe we should set our windage at 200 yards then go back to 50 yards and see if there is any movement?