PDA

View Full Version : Old DC Gun Laws

Eggman
11-03-2011, 12:10 PM
Like most of us as the weather turns colder I read more. Several questions arose in my mind in relation to the Lincoln assassination.
First, the young major accompanying the Lincolns, Major Rathbone, had nothing to fight off J.W. Booth except his fists. What exactly were the gun laws in DC in 1865? Seems like Rathbone could have used a bit more firepower.
Second, Clara Harris, Rathbone's fiance, was also Rathbone's half sister. I know Woody Allen also married his daughter. Is this type of thing common in New York?
By the way, that old idea that Southerners marry their cousens is just a Gone With the Wind stereotype.

Lou Lou Lou
11-03-2011, 12:52 PM
Glad to see you are still among the living, I think. Missed meeting you in October.
Now, about the New York crack, it seems that child molesters are not bound by the mores of any particular state.
You have a nice day, heah.

Southron Sr.
11-03-2011, 02:18 PM
No one expected an attempt of the Lincoln's life at Ford's Theater. That accounts for the lack of guards. I don't think any DC gun laws would have applied to Major Rathbone anyway IF he had been armed because he would have been "on military duty" at Ford's Theater.

The Lincoln Assassination was solved by none other than General Lafayette McLaws who at the time was head of the Secret Service. McLaws did the following:

1. Ordered the arrest of most of the conspirators.
2. Based on his knowledge of the topography and escape routes out of Washington, D.C.,
McLaws ordered a cavalry unit into Virginia to intercept Booth. That unit, while trying to arrest Booth shot and killed him instead.
3. McLaws traced the conspiracy back to Stanton and Vice-President Andrew Johnson.
4. Stanton threatened McLaws into silence. The conspirators were hung and that was that.
5. After the war McLaws wrote a book about his war time exploits and although he did not mention what he knew about the "Lincon Conspiracy" shortly after the book was published, he was murdered to pernamently silence him.

Just like the JFK Assassination, the VP was involved. Ask yourself one question:Who has the most to gain by the assassination of a President?

Eggman
11-03-2011, 03:29 PM
Don't you mean Lafayette Baker? If not mistaken McLaws was one of Lee's brigadiers.
Crack pot theories aside, that still leaves the questions, how come not everyone was armed, at least why not all the soldiers, and why the peculiar Empire State breeding practices.
(Note: I always made a habit when prowling the back streets of Saigon [similar circumstances -- wartime, questionable local loyalty] to at least pack a 1911)

S.Sullivan
11-03-2011, 05:14 PM
Some fifty years plus back a Chicago chemist, Otto Eisenschimel, published several articles in the newly founded Civil War Times based on a copy of a book he examined that had come from the library of L.C.Baker. It seems pin-holes were placed under certain letters that spelled out the conspiracy, yes with Stanton at the head, to assassinated President Lincoln. After all these years it is surprising to see this brought up again. Especially here.Steve Sullivan

S.Sullivan
11-03-2011, 06:05 PM
Oops, posted before I was done.Armed issue. The year was 1865, the war was over and you were in the Capitol of the winning side. No 9/11 mentality yet. No president had been assassinated and when someone tried to kill Andrew Jackson he attacked his attacker with a cane and nearly killed the fellow when his new technology percussion pistols failed to ignite. The only official Lincoln body guard, Ward Hill Lamon wondered off as the play continued, with no replacement. Major Rathbone carried no side arms, not due to DC laws, but again the war was over and swords were noisy and uncomfortable at formal events.I cannot comment on the Harris/Rathbone affair.Steve Sullivan

Eggman
11-03-2011, 06:31 PM
I still say he should have armed himself. The sight of a patent leather holster on his hip would definately have impressed his fiance/sister. Though he wasn't a combat soldier, he was regular army, and should have had blood in his eye.

Southron Sr.
11-03-2011, 10:41 PM
Guess I was having a "Senior Moment!"

I meant Lafayette Baker! Thanks for the correction!

Ron/The Old Reb
11-04-2011, 10:21 AM
he should have armed himself.
Did't Clint Eastwood say the same thing in Unforgiven.:rolleyes:

Joe Plakis, 9575V
11-04-2011, 09:34 PM
Bottom line is that the Government will keep you informed with what you need to know. The fact that three people were targeted, and only Lincoln died, makes you wonder who would of benefited from Lincoln, Johnson and Seward's Death?