PDA

View Full Version : Sharps side hammer rifles' lever latch

Naphtali
11-01-2011, 02:38 PM
I own a Shiloh 1863 rifle that has a lever latch assembly. 1874 Sharps cartridge rifles dispensed with this assembly. Shiloh's 1863 "Sporting Rifle" also dispenses with the assembly.

What purpose does the assembly serve - in reality - since side hammer actions obvious function efficiently without it?

Why did [original] Sharps manufacture dispense with the assembly? Assuming it has practical value, why was it not retained in production, at least as an option?

Why does no Sharps side hammer reproduction manufacturer offer the assembly as an option for any cartridge version?

DRWambaugh
11-01-2011, 10:37 PM
This is mostly speculation on my part but I always assumed that the latch facilitated easier carrying of a loaded rifle or carbine while on the march or in the saddle. Once latched the lever could not be accidentally dropped by catching on a piece of equipment or something else.

Incidentally the Berdan contract dst Sharps rifles deleted the latch a cost-saving measure. Guess they didn't have much use for it either!

Dan

John Holland
11-01-2011, 11:53 PM
"What purpose does the assembly serve - in reality - since side hammer actions obvious function efficiently without it?"

With a percussion model, if you open the breech once the arm is loaded you will drag powder downwards into the spring cavity of the forearm. If done a few times there will be a build-up of powder in the forearm. Which in turn, at some time in the future, will ignite when the arm is fired thereby either shattering, or worse yet, blowing the forearm off said arm.

It was a moot point with a cartridge arm since the powder was contained in the case, and not in the chamber. With a cartridge arm you can open and close the chamber as many times as you want with no disastrous consequenses.

JDH

Naphtali
11-02-2011, 12:50 PM
"What purpose does the assembly serve - in reality - since side hammer actions obvious function efficiently without it?"

With a percussion model, if you open the breech once the arm is loaded you will drag powder downwards into the spring cavity of the forearm. If done a few times there will be a build-up of powder in the forearm. Which in turn, at some time in the future, will ignite when the arm is fired thereby either shattering, or worse yet, blowing the forearm off said arm.

It was a moot point with a cartridge arm since the powder was contained in the case, and not in the chamber. With a cartridge arm you can open and close the chamber as many times as you want with no disastrous consequenses.

JDHA near AHA! moment. My follow-up is: Why are Shiloh Sharps 1863 Sporting rifles, and perhaps other reproduction manufacturers' cap lock Sharps non-military variations, made without the assembly? Original military Sharps apparently also miss your point. . . . Are you and I alone in the universe?

Your explanation makes a great deal of sense to me - except for the logic not being maintained across the cap lock spectrum.

John Holland
11-02-2011, 02:51 PM
Naphtali -

Here's a scenario for you: No military organization can afford casualties, much less than those caused by accidents, hence a lock on the lever. Civilians? Who cares anyway!

Seriously, I highly recommend reading "Sharps Firearms" by Frank Sellers, ISBN 0-917714-12-1.

As to the manfacturers of "replica" arms, who knows why they do what they do? Just because Shiloh Sharps makes a Military Sharps NM 1863 Rifle Rifle without a patch box, does that make it correct?

JDH
Sharps Collectors Ass'n., Life Member