PDA

View Full Version : FS: Buffalo Hunter, 1851 London

OregonBill
10-31-2011, 02:21 PM
I have a couple of pieces going unused in the closet. Maybe someone here can use one or both:

This is a new-in-the-box, unfired Uberti London-model 1851 Colt, caliber .36 of course. It is simply the cleanest, crispest, best-fitted cap-and-ball revolver I've owned. $265 shipped.

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b356/BillOregon/IMG_1680.jpg

This is a used but not abused .58-caliber Buffalo Hunter, made by Zoli based on their Zouave rifle and popularized by Navy Arms in the 1960s and 70s. Stock is beech. I got this from a muzzleloading friend, but have not shot it. I bought it to hunt with, but failed to draw muzzleloader tags this year and regular deer season ends Friday anyway. Ramrod replaced with a metal one, bore is very good. Only issue is I can't budge the nipple. $325 shipped. No trades, please and thank you for looking.

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b356/BillOregon/IMG_1644.jpg
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b356/BillOregon/IMG_1645.jpg

OregonBill
11-08-2011, 06:15 PM
Fellas, I would go $250 on the Colt and $300 on the Buffalo Hunter, shipped. I paid $315 and shipping for that London Colt.

OregonBill
11-11-2011, 01:44 PM
Colt is sold, but still have the Buffalo Hunter.

OregonBill
11-16-2011, 09:20 AM
I'd go $285 shipped for the Buffalo Hunter.

Muley Gil
11-16-2011, 07:49 PM
I wonder who installed the trigger guard bow backwards?

Edwin Flint
11-16-2011, 11:11 PM
I was wondering about this also. I have been looking for a gun that was originally made like this and cannot find one. This appears to be a modification of the Zoli Hunter Carbine (I own one). The mods are quite extensive.

I would suggest you offer this elsewhere also. This is not legal for our sport in its original form, much less in this modified state. It should make a good hunting gun for muzzle loading season. Mine is an excellent shooting gun.

Good luck finding a buyer. :)

Muley Gil
11-17-2011, 08:45 PM
"This appears to be a modification of the Zoli Hunter Carbine (I own one)."

I remember these being listed in the Dixie Gun Works catalogs in the late '60, into the '70s.

As a matter of fact, Mike Yeck had one at the Fall National, 1969. I picked it up and showed it to my pappy. Instead, he bought me a standard Zoli Zouave, which was my first skirmish gun. Ah, happy memories.

OregonBill
11-18-2011, 09:39 AM
Muley, Edwin: Thanks for pointing that out.
I got interested in these rifles after reading Val Forgett's account of his African safari in the first edition of the Lyman Black Power Manual. He used a Buffalo Hunter with 125 grain FFg and the old Shiloh 610-grain minie to kill his lion and zebra.

Edwin Flint
11-18-2011, 10:09 AM
As I understand it, the Zoli Hunter came into existance because people loved the Zoli "Zouave" but they didn't like the weight when they hunted with it. NAvy ARms then just cut a few inches off the barrel, 9 I believe, and cut the stock back. Essentially, a mini Zouave as it kept the barrel bands, sights, etc.

The Mods to your "Buffalo Hunter" appear fairly well done with the intent to make it more like the Plains/Hawkin style rather than the military style of the Zouave.(pinned barrel, adjustible slide sight, under barrel ramrod rail, tapered half stock)

In looking for an original "Buffalo Hunter", I think I came across this same gun on an old auction site listing when it was listed for sale 7-8 years ago.

OregonBill
11-18-2011, 03:54 PM
Edwin: In searching this topic, I found a couple of illustrations of other Navy Arms Buffalo Hunters, and they are identical to this one, including the forend key and the reversed guard. Check the one in this thread:

http://forum.gon.com/showthread.php?t=569060

John Holland
11-18-2011, 04:12 PM
Oregon Bill -

A link to yet another forum I never knew existed! The date code of XXX on the side of the barrel indicates that particular arm was made n 1974.

JDH

Edwin Flint
11-18-2011, 08:54 PM
I have seen an old advertisment that shows pictures of all three, Zouave, Carbine and Buffalo Hunter so it is not a modified gun. We learn something every day!:)

OregonBill
11-22-2011, 10:08 AM
Found a buyer.