PDA

View Full Version : Original Gallager

steel reserve
10-24-2011, 10:09 AM
Is anyone having success skirmishing with an original Gallager with the original rifling? If so, what bullet and load?

ms3635v
10-24-2011, 05:20 PM
If you are shooting an original Gallager, remember the bore diameter is 50 caliber, not 54 caliber as the Erma Gallagers are. The average diameter of an original Gallager averages between .518 and .520 inch in diameter. The bullet should weigh in the 350 grain range as it is similar in weight to the original ammunition. Also, bear in mind that the paper/foil cartridge for the Gallager was also used in the Smith carbine. Try starting with 30 grains of 3f and see how the gun groups, then go from there.

steel reserve
10-24-2011, 09:00 PM
Mike,
Thanks for the response. The issue is that the original Gallager rifling has fairly deep grooves so the land diameter may be .520 but the groove diameter could be .530 which doesn't allow the bullet to seal properly. I was hoping to use .520 dia. 360 grain Smith bullets. I do not have the Gallager at this point in time so I'm looking for a skirmisher who hopefully has had success with some bullet configuration before I make a purchase.
I shoot both a Smith and Maynard. I know Rapine has a Gallager bullet but I question how well it does, especially at 100 yards with any wind.
Mike

ms3635v
10-25-2011, 08:16 AM
Two of my teammates are currently shooting Gallagers. They are using a hollow base bullet from a mold they had custom made. I will ask them what the diameter and weight of their bullet is and what powder charge they are using and I will get back to you. The Rapine bullet was designed to fit the brass case (cases have the step inside). This bullet is 54 caliber and is short, so its performance may be "iffy" at 100 yards. The nose of the Rapine bullet is very similary to the very round nose of the original bullet that is found in original Gallager rounds. According to Dean Thomas's Round Ball to Rimfire, Part Two, page 100, the round nosed projectile used weighed 555 grains and had a diameter of .525". The powder charge ranged from 38 grains to 76 grains (page 106). These weights were recorded from random sample cartridges taken from the factory packages. The bullets that I referred to in my previous post, the more pointed round (page 113) indicates bullet weights ranging from 372 grains to 464 grains with diameters ranging from .522 to .525. Maybe other members who are shooting Gallagers could provide additional information on what they have found produces acceptable results.

ms3635v
11-20-2011, 03:16 PM
Mike,

Check your PM's. I sent you some information.

Richard Hill
11-21-2011, 01:31 PM
Can you post the maker of the mould and the powder charge used? I've also got an original and am looking for a load.

ms3635v
11-25-2011, 08:33 AM
Richard,

I will as soon as my team member sends the information.