PDA

View Full Version : Using a Shooting Chrony with black powder firearms

us1863
10-21-2011, 10:31 PM
Thinking about getting a shooting chrony. I little concerned that the diffusers will eventually be destroyed by the muzzle blast. Anyone have experience with a chrony and black powder?

Gary Van Kauwenbergh, 101
10-22-2011, 06:50 AM
My chronograph results from shooting my ParkerHale muskets are listed at http://acwsa.org/Pages/ShootingNotebook.htm That's about the extent of my experience them. I just placed the chronograph far enough away from the muzzle to eliviate the blast effects.

Greg Ogdan 110th OVI
10-22-2011, 08:19 AM
so Gary, are you saying 15 feef? 20 feet? Inquiring minds want to know.

Wayne Clark
10-22-2011, 08:36 AM
You also might try doing the testing on a partly cloudy day and not use the the diffusers. Also apply clear tape over the " eyes " of the chrony to prevent corrosion.
W. Clark

10-22-2011, 12:25 PM
I'd say at least 10 feet, but I can't remember exactly how far away I placed them. Sorry.

efritz
10-23-2011, 08:24 PM
Gary,

I have a Chrony and purchased the clear plastic guards that they sell to protect the faces from black powder and grease flying off. I put the chrony out as far as the cord will allow. Have found some residue on the plastic covers but not much.

Eric

rachbobo
10-24-2011, 08:41 AM
I had to learn the hard way years back. I set it up the same way as when checking smokeless loads when I was checking my sons T/C Encore with the 50 cal barrel.
It was about 3 ft away and when my son cut loose with 100 gr of 2 F behind a 240 gr .429 sabot slug,
I watched as both sun shades along with the rods that hold them flew off into the back yard.
As the rods flew away they destroyed the sensors they mounted in and the read out display was burnt black.
Oh well you stupid ( fill in any obsenity you like ) I said to myself.
A week later when I got the replacement I bought I set it at 10 ft and it works fine.

Bill Cheek
Cockade Rifles

10-24-2011, 09:33 AM
I was a Fire Direction Control Chief in the Army back in the 70's. Once we choreographed all the howitzers in the battalion, so we could put all the long and short shooters together. The chronograph we used had a warning that we could be sterilized if we walked in front of it when it was on. Thank God for modern technology!