PDA

View Full Version : Liquid Alox lube

Bob Bumleg 14 Va Cav
10-18-2011, 07:07 AM
Has anyone had any success using liquid Alox lube on Maynard bullets and/or Minie's? Wondering if it will keep fouling soft enough to continue reloading, and it's effect on accuracy as compared to SPG or other lubes.

hp gregory
10-18-2011, 12:01 PM
i doubt that alox will work for keeping fouling soft in your carbine. the only thing i use it for is smoothbore. i
have used lens lube in all my rifled skirmish guns from revolver to repeater. its a little soft on hot days but it realy keeps fouling soft. i like it much better than spg for skirmishing.

hp

Bob Bumleg 14 Va Cav
10-18-2011, 01:58 PM
Will try it with Musket and fill cavity with Crisco.
Usually use 1/3 beeswax, 1/3 Crisco, and 1/3 Bore Butter, works well.

Maillemaker
10-18-2011, 02:38 PM
I have used it on the outside of minies while filling the base with lube. But this was with a bad barrel that I never got accuracy out of no matter what I tried. I am waiting to get my musket back with a new Whitacre barrel installed and will try again.

I like the lube in the base as it makes for less mess while loading. But some people have said you end up with inconsistent remains of lube in the bullet, resulting in effectively different bullet masses.

Greg Ogdan 110th OVI
10-18-2011, 07:29 PM
Yeah, yeah, heard all that. Sounds like more picking of nits to me! Everybody wants to make things difficult. Just use MCM or GBS and everything will shoot just fine.

jonk
07-28-2014, 07:58 AM
Old thread, but it came up as related in another I was viewing and thought it deserved another look in.

I tried straight alox on minies, within 5 rounds I had to hammer the bullet down.

I have heard some folks using it in their mix 1/3 to beeswax and crisco; that might be fine.

In cartridge guns, or a sharps or Maynard or whatever, it may work, but as it will do little to soften fouling and is a thin application, I don't think it will be as effective as traditional lubes.

Maillemaker
07-28-2014, 10:31 AM
Good info, Jonk. It's what I expected.

Steve