PDA

View Full Version : Henry OK for smokeless powdwer?

Chris Sweeney
10-17-2011, 01:21 AM
Are the Uberti-made Henrys proffed for modern loads in the 12000 psi range? I don't see "black powder only" on it but . . .

Space Cowboy
10-17-2011, 11:46 AM
Chris,

They are proofed for smokeless powder. I do not know exactly the pressure limit, but the CIP proofing means you can use your rifle with any comercially available cartridges.

SC

matt
10-17-2011, 12:14 PM
Yes you can shoot smokeless, commercial is fine. If you are loading your own make sure you look up 44-40 in a reloading manual, usually they have 2 sections one for pistol and one for rifle. If you are shooting both pistol and rifle in this caliber id stick with the pistol loadings just to be safe so you dont put the rifle load into the pistol. Will it harm anything probably not but why take the chance.
Matt

Michael Bodner
10-17-2011, 12:51 PM
Be VERY CAREFUL about loading pistol rounds into a rifle - Based on the type of powder. Typically, pistol powder is much faster burning (hotter) than rifle powder.

I'm not saying for sure that you can't, but please consult the loading manuals concerning this...

-Mike

Ron/The Old Reb
10-18-2011, 08:10 AM
Ok Since we are on this subject, I have a question maybe Space Cowboy can answer it. I have a brass frame Henry one of the ones that are marked NSSA 1 of 5000. As I under stand these where built with a reinforced brass frame. They were advertised by Navy Arms as " built to with stand the riggers of skirmishing". My question is what do they mean buy reinforce? How is it reinforced? Is the frame made out of a brass alloy. Or is it a steel frame that is brass plated?

pastore
10-18-2011, 09:21 AM
Ok Since we are on this subject, I have a question maybe Space Cowboy can answer it. I have a brass frame Henry one of the ones that are marked NSSA 1 of 5000. As I under stand these where built with a reinforced brass frame. They were advertised by Navy Arms as " built to with stand the riggers of skirmishing". My question is what do they mean buy reinforce? How is it reinforced? Is the frame made out of a brass alloy. Or is it a steel frame that is brass plated?

Hernrys are made by Uberti not Pedesoli. That question would be better directed to Navy Arms.

Jim_Burgess_2078V
10-18-2011, 01:30 PM
For practice I shoot 5.7 grains of Winchester 231 and a RCBS 200 grain bullet in my .44-40 Henry with good results. One thing you have to be careful about when shooting smokeless is having a good crimp on the bullet. Without a case full of powder the crimp is the only thing to keep the bullet from getting pushed back into the case while in the magazine. Bullet set back can result in feeding problems and if the cartridge does manage to chamber, potentially dangerous pressures could result when fired.
Jim Burgess, 15th Conn. Vol. Inf.