PDA

View Full Version : Shipping Long Guns

tonyb
10-11-2011, 10:07 PM
Where do you get your boxes to ship muskets/ long guns?
How do you pack them, or do you just put them in the box with no added padding?

MR. GADGET
10-11-2011, 11:31 PM
#1 I always take the lock off a musket.
#2 most cases if you pull the barrel it will be a lot shorter cutting the shipping cost.

Just find an old gun box or make one out of a few boxes and use a lot of packing and tape.
Pending what and where you ship, if you say gun anything, they may want to see it first or tell you they can't ship it.

Gary Van Kauwenbergh, 101
10-12-2011, 06:58 AM
I grab a piece of cardboard from the pigeon board stack and make my own boxes. I hate doing it, but don't know any other way.

RaiderANV
10-13-2011, 08:26 PM
Gary's on the right track. I hit the local Lowe's or Home Depot and get a piece of card board from an appliance. They ALWAYS set this card board aside next to there compactors so they have a stiff top & bottom to their bundles. They will let you have it just by asking at the service counter. If by some chance the counter help look at you like their lost tell them it's beside the compactor in the back room.

I lay the gun out & figure my box size & just cut it out. I use the back edge of my knife & run it down the card board to make a crease. You can see the line on the corrugation so it's easy to follow it down when creasing. Ya fold it 90 degrees & make yer next crease. I overlap an end rather then a side as it makes for a stronger box. I have never had to remove a hammer using this type of cardboard. But,,,,,,it'll help make for a smaller box if ya do & USPS figures the box dimensions into the price. It's been my experience that no one can touch Uncle Sam's prices for shipping.