PDA

View Full Version : Adjustable rear sight for Springfield or Zouave

MR. GADGET
10-11-2011, 08:14 PM
Does anyone make or sell an adjustable rear sight for them?
Just looking at tuning them in, to find the spot to drill on a normal blade. I know you can't use an Adj sight for shoots before someone busts on me.....

Was thinking about building one that has a slide with a peep sight for elevation but not sure how to work the windage.

RAYSTORA
10-11-2011, 09:23 PM
PM Sent

Ray

MR. GADGET
10-11-2011, 09:51 PM
thanks, emailed You

ken chrestman
10-11-2011, 11:23 PM
George Gompf makes an adjustable "Drill Guide" that allows windage and elevation to drill a peep in a shooter's leaf for a springfield sight base, works great. Contact him at GGompf@wmt.com

Ken Chrestman 7147V

Fauch125
10-12-2011, 12:46 PM
Don't mean to hijack this threrad, but I would be interested in one as well. Any info appreciated.
Jon Faucher 4th Va. Inf EN region

mikec
11-03-2011, 12:59 PM
You don't need an adjustable sight. All you need is a new blank sight, a dial caliper, a drill and the ability to shoot a reasonably tight group.

If you aren't shooting a standard length M1861/63/64 rifle-musket, you'll also need a ruler to measure the sight radius. The standard length muskets happily have a sight radius of 1 yard, which makes them very easy to re-sight.

1. Shoot a nice group
2. Measure the horizontal and vertical distances between your aim point and the center of the group.
3. Calculate how far you need to move the sight hole and in which direction. Since the sight radius of a 40" barrel Springfield is one yard, one inch on a target translates to 0.01" on the rear sight at 100 yards and 0.005" at 50 yards. If your rifle has a different sight radius, you'll have to calculate how far to move the sight for
4. Carefully measure the current peep hole location, adjust the location using the distances in 3 and drill the new sight.

I've drilled dozens of rear sites right on the range using this method with no problems. Just don't do it on a windy day ;)