PDA

View Full Version : CSA's Augusta Powder Works - History & Mfg Techniques

Pat in Virginia
10-09-2011, 05:20 PM
I have placed an article by Bill Curtis on the Augusta Powder works in the following folder on the Long Range Muzzle Loader email list site. Bill, also known as W. S. Curtis is Asst. Curator, Museum of the N.R.A. (UK),
Whitworth Rifle Research Project and publisher of a number of noteworthy black powder related articles and books.

This particular article, actually a book chapter, is too large to post here. Hopefully you will be able to access it if you are interested in such things. If you cannot access it, let me know and I will send it to you direct via email. Bill has given me permission to make the article available to you on the condition that it will not be used for commercial purposes or distribution.

The article is an interesting read. The article relates how the powder works were established shortly after the start of the War Between the States and discusses the manufacturing techniques that allowed the production of some of the best black powder ever made in quantities sufficient to meet the needs of the Confederacy for muskets, rifles and artillery, truly an amazing feat in so short a time.

The link which I hope will work for you is:

http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/lrml/files/American%20Civil%20War/

Click on the Augusta Powder Works article. It will appear as a pdf document.

Pat