PDA

View Full Version : Jensco Maynard Barrel Issue

Joe Plakis, 9575V
09-27-2011, 09:31 PM
Okay folks, I was putting a new mainspring in my original Maynard Carbine when I noticed that the Jensco Barrel that I have mounted on it has cracked!!! On the bottom of the barrel you have two lugs, does anyone know how Jensco made his barrels? From what I can see those two "lugs" were welded on, you can see in places a defined line and what looks like welds. My major issue is that the lug on the rear of the barrel has cracked about half way through. I don't plan on shooting it because the safety is compromised, but I am hoping that I can fix the barrel.

I know that the barrel never seemed to lock up any tighter than the original barrel that was on it, so a stress crack from it being too tight to the frame just seems odd.

Any help would be great! And no, a Starr will not fix my problem!

John Holland
09-28-2011, 12:14 AM
Take it to Bobby Hoyt at the Fort next week for his opinion.

JDH

Joe Plakis, 9575V
09-28-2011, 07:22 AM
John I planned on bring it down, not sure how it happened but obviously need to get it fixed.

Bob Elka, 12001
09-28-2011, 08:08 AM
Hey Joe if you see me around when you have it I'd like to get a look at it as well ....... might learn me something....bob

RaiderANV
09-29-2011, 12:21 AM
Someone showed me a barrel that had a very slight crack on the rear lug years ago. I directed them back to Jensco as that's who made it. Saw them a year later at the Nationals and they said Everything was made right. I didn't ask if that one was fixed or replaced.

And no, a Starr will not fix my problem!

BUT THEY WILL HOLD UP YER 'MATERS RIGHT FINE NOW!!!!!!

Joe Plakis, 9575V
09-29-2011, 09:56 AM
Is Jensco still in business???

John Bly
09-30-2011, 03:54 PM
Steve Jensco quit several years ago due to age and infirmities. The lugs were welded onto his barrels as are those of Romano's guns. I've seen one of each that has come loose or fallen off. I always wondered about this as welding is not allowed on any other barrel except for the early Bernadelli's that were marked with a "W"

My Maynard barrels are not welded, but are made on a monobloc breech piece made from 4140 alloy steel properly heat treated for strength and wear resistance.

RangerFrog
10-09-2011, 07:57 PM
Keep in mind that both techniques, WITH MODERN TECHNOLOGIES, can work quite well. Some of the all time great shotguns (especially in Europe) are made with the monobloc technique, and some really big boomers are made in break-open pistols (such as the Contenders) that utilize a welded-on lug. I would not hesitate to take a good barrel using either technique from a reliable, trusted source. That's why I'm willing to shoot Larry's or John's barrels with perfect confidence. They use proven technologies properly.

Froggie

RaiderANV
10-11-2011, 05:12 PM
Is Jensco still in business???

Eric (last name eludes me) from Sherman's Body Guard took over the business

Lou Lou Lou
10-13-2011, 07:47 AM
Eric Schuessler is the fine fellow who took over the business. Does exceptional work.

Joe Plakis, 9575V
10-13-2011, 12:55 PM
Well I had two barrels sent to Hoyt, the one that was cracked and an original that I am having relined. Thanks for all the help