PDA

View Full Version : Accurizing 1858 Remington Armys

Dennis Faerber
09-24-2011, 05:50 PM
Does anyone have a suggestion on who's doing the best work in accurizing the 1858 Remington Revolver? Also any suggestions between the Uberti and the Pietta?

Thanks! Dennis

Sam Sellaro, 12403
09-24-2011, 06:09 PM
You need to give hp gregory a call

Mike McDaniel
09-24-2011, 08:57 PM
Honestly? I'd rate the Remingon repros in the following order:
1. Hege Army Match Maximum.
2. Pedersoli
3. Pietta Shooter's Model. This is the lowest I'd go for a Skirmish gun.
4. Pietta
5. Uberti

Don Dixon
09-26-2011, 08:37 PM
Rob at Tri-L does reliable work. He will be at the Nationals this fall.

Regards,
Don Dixon
2881V

NJCOP
10-03-2011, 09:20 AM
Was looking for a 58 very recently and found a used Cimmeron/Uberti. If your not familiar with Cimmeron, they take the pick of the crop of Uberti guns, they tune them up, hand fit the grips and somewhat defarb the guns, i.e. they duplicate original finishes. You may want to look into one of these as a starting point.

Southron Sr.
10-03-2011, 11:43 AM
The Pietta "Shooters Revolver" is an entirely different critter than their regular Remington revolver.

The Shooters model has "Gain Twist Rifling" and it is the most accurate pistol I have ever owned. It shoots "tighter groups" (off the bench) than any modern, metallic cartridge pistol I have even owned, including a .45 Auto that was "National Match Accurized" by a former Navy pistol team armorer.

Eggman
10-03-2011, 03:09 PM
Let's see, how does the song go, "and de band played defarb with delight."

Eggman
10-05-2011, 11:21 AM
I got to thinking maybe a quick refresher on the "defarb" discussion might be useful here. Generally you don't hear the "defarb" term used much in N-SSA discussions. This isn't just because there is no such word, it is because the provenance of a firearm is essential for qualifying it for use on the skirmish line. Don't know, or can't show where it came from, take it to the Small Arms Committee and try to make your case, or take it home. Oh by the way, your word that it is what you say it is won't cut it. On the other hand, got a three band Enfield with Euroarms stamped on it, take it to the line pal. Generally rather than using the term "defarb," a skirmisher will use words like "mutilated," "obfiscated," "counterfitted," or "deviated." We owe it to current owners of our firearms, and especially to future owners, that they be readily able to identify where (and when) they came from.
See previous strings as to legal implications.

Space Cowboy
10-07-2011, 03:42 AM
I agree that the Hege is the best of all, but if you ever shot a Remington by Andreas Baumkircher, it would change your point of view. He uses Uberti and Pietta frames and Ueli Eichelberger barrels, with completely rebulit interior parts. Pedersoli is the 3rd, and maybe the best value for money, as it is much cheaper the the first 2. Pietta Shooters is also a great gun, but cca. at the same price as Pedersoli, so I'd rather choose Pedersoli in this case. I owned both. They both very accurate, but the trigger mechanism is better quality with the Pedersoli arms.

Regarding the normal Uberti and Pietta line. My comapny sells both. They can be accurized to be competitive. We sell both brands, and we have twice as much guarantee problems with Pietta, than Uberti.

The biggest problems with Pietta:
- indexing problems between the chambers and the barrel
- usally the diameter of the powder chambers is too small for the caliber of the bore. For example: if the bore dia. is .375 between the grooves, you must have a minimum size of .375 bullet diameter to have a gas tight fit in the rifling. If the powder chamber sizes the bullet down to .365, now that's a problem...

The biggest problems with Uberti:
- their springs are weaker, so be prepared that the trigger spring and the hand assembly-'s spring will brake.

Pietta improved a lot in the past years, but I found that the material they use is softer than Uberti's. Uberti uses forged steel blocks for the frames, while Pietta uses cast iron. They are both ok for BP shooting, will not blow up that's for sure, as the CIP regulations are very strict.

radsound
08-24-2012, 02:10 PM
I agree that the Hege is the best of all, but if you ever shot a Remington by Andreas Baumkircher, it would change your point of view. He uses Uberti and Pietta frames and Ueli Eichelberger barrels, with completely rebulit interior parts. Pedersoli is the 3rd, and maybe the best value for money, as it is much cheaper the the first 2. Pietta Shooters is also a great gun, but cca. at the same price as Pedersoli, so I'd rather choose Pedersoli in this case. I owned both. They both very accurate, but the trigger mechanism is better quality with the Pedersoli arms.

Regarding the normal Uberti and Pietta line. My comapny sells both. They can be accurized to be competitive. We sell both brands, and we have twice as much guarantee problems with Pietta, than Uberti.

The biggest problems with Pietta:
- indexing problems between the chambers and the barrel
- usally the diameter of the powder chambers is too small for the caliber of the bore. For example: if the bore dia. is .375 between the grooves, you must have a minimum size of .375 bullet diameter to have a gas tight fit in the rifling. If the powder chamber sizes the bullet down to .365, now that's a problem...

The biggest problems with Uberti:
- their springs are weaker, so be prepared that the trigger spring and the hand assembly-'s spring will brake.

Pietta improved a lot in the past years, but I found that the material they use is softer than Uberti's. Uberti uses forged steel blocks for the frames, while Pietta uses cast iron. They are both ok for BP shooting, will not blow up that's for sure, as the CIP regulations are very strict.

Take a regular sharpie and try to push it into the cylinder my Pietta just barely fits, then try to push it down the barrel my barrel is slightly too tight.

Maillemaker
08-24-2012, 02:59 PM
A bit of a thread resurrection here.

Just thought I would point out that I have been recently looking for a revolver for skirmishing with and discovered that the Pedersoli 1858 is not yet N-SSA approved.

Steve

Mike McDaniel
08-24-2012, 07:43 PM
First, you should be able to get an individual approval with no problem.

Second, I spent a day doing arms inspection at the World Championships. WRT repro revolvers, I'd say the breakdown was ~90% Hege-Remington, 9% FWB Rogers & Spencer...and 1-2% all other makes.

Charlie Hahn
08-28-2012, 06:56 PM
PM sent

Charlie Hahn

Maillemaker
08-28-2012, 09:16 PM
First, you should be able to get an individual approval with no problem.

I spoke to our arms approval person via email, and he said he would likely not be able to approve the Pedersoli 1858 Remington and we would have to wait for N-SSA approval.

Steve