PDA

View Full Version : Ultrasonic cleaners

Joe
09-22-2011, 07:56 PM
So I aquired a used Ultrasonic cleaner. I plan on using it to clean Henry and Smith brass. It looks like it will hold 4 to 6 quarts of cleaning fluid. So the main question I have for those that use this type of cleaner is what do you use for a cleaning solution? Also do you heat up the fluid and are you able to reuse it or have to use a fresh batch for every cleaning use. On average I would be cleaning 75 or less Smith brass and say around 100 Henry 44-40's. This would be done in two seperate cleaning operations.
Thanks for any advice you can help me with.

Joe 3RD NC CAV

Wayne Shaw, 1985V
09-22-2011, 08:34 PM
Joe I have one and love it. I use two Pryrex backing dishes to save the use of excessive amounts of cleaner.Keep the water level as high as the mix in the dishes or it won't work. A 50/50 mix of white vinager and water + a little dawn. Cycle for 3-4 cycles. Rince in hot water. I then use a mix of Baking soda to neturalise the vinager for one cycle. Can do 100 in 1/2 to 3/4 hr. They won't be shinney, but are clean. Make sure you punch out the primers first, so the pockets are cleaned.
I also found that after shooting I soak the used brass in Dawn &water on the way home. Makes cleaning much easier. Wayne Shaw Harlans Light Cav 1985V