PDA

View Full Version : john holland i need your help

hp gregory
09-20-2011, 11:52 AM
i have a rather beautiful spanish made rifle that looks very much like a 2 band enfield. in the book civil war guns on page 271 there is a short discription of this gun. it reads that it was the only spanish made arm used in the war. it is dated 1861 and mentions that it had a rather unusual rear sight. it used a socket bayonet and a brass banded loading rod. it said that this was a very high quality rifle allegedly used by troops in kentucky. there are several pictures of this very interesting rifle. my questions are does anyone know about these rifles and are they legal for nssa competition. thanks in advance.

hp gregory

John Holland
09-20-2011, 02:13 PM
hp -

Yes, I am familiar with the Spanish 2 band rifle you have described, and yes it is legal to use in the N-SSA's competitive matches.

Congratulations on having a very hard to find arm.

JDH

Blair
09-20-2011, 02:41 PM
John,

Am I correct in that some of these may also be called Brizilian Short Rifles (BSR)?

hwaugh
09-20-2011, 06:38 PM
The rifle you are referring to is known as the Spanish Enfield. The Brazilian Enfield rifle is a different rifle altogether. The two band version of the Spanish Enfield was used in America during the Civil War and there is also a three band version of the Spanish Enfield that turns up once in a rare occasion. I have both the two band and the three band Spanish Enfields. John Holland can give you much more detail concerning these pieces.

Harry Waugh - 3731 - Terry's Texas Rangers