PDA

View Full Version : Brass

falcon
09-20-2011, 11:26 AM
I have just recieved a very old revolver with brass frame that has been polished I think I once read of a way to put the patina back on brass. Does anyone remember how?
Thanks Bill

Scott Kurki, 12475
09-20-2011, 12:21 PM
Just use it and don't polish the brass, it does not take long for a natural patina to form. Any of the gun cleaning products will clean the brass somewhat so avoid getting those on it.

Joe Plakis, 9575V
09-20-2011, 04:49 PM
Urine, never tried it but heard it works! http://www.authentic-campaigner.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-2365.html

falcon
09-20-2011, 06:46 PM
There was something that you mixed with black powder, oh this is an original Colt cap and ball

nightstalker
09-23-2011, 11:35 PM
Hi Bill, I have found that just touching the newly polished brass end cap and trigger guard on my Enfield turns it quite dark by the end of the day. I have heard that ketching the foweling that you wash out of your barrel and apply it to new brass will give it the patina of much older brass. There is also a product available at some paint and hardware stores that you can apply to new brass hardware that will give you the patina of older antique brass, just can't remember the name of it. Hope this helps, Nightstalker

nightstalker
09-23-2011, 11:44 PM
Forgot to mention, I believe that it is the sweat on your hands that is what turns it dark. Nightstalker

falcon
09-24-2011, 12:46 PM
thanks we will try that. This gun may have been used in the war as it dates back to that time. It was owned by a GI who brought in to sell at my Daughter and son in laws gun shop over by Ft Campbell. Said that it had been handed down to him by his Grandfather. Soilders think they have to sell everything that is brass. The gun was in great shape for its age.

falcon
09-24-2011, 12:48 PM
I aimed to say they shine everything that is brass

Blair
09-24-2011, 03:06 PM
Falcon,

Do you have any idea what model variant this Colt Revolver may be?
What is its caliber, barrel length etc,.
Some of these revolvers may have had silver and/or nickel plating done on some of the brass parts.
Blair

Muley Gil
09-25-2011, 02:00 PM
When you say "brass frame", are you refering to the grip frame that holds the wood grip, or are you talking about the actual frame that holds the hammer and cylinder center pin?

Are there any Colt markings on the barrel? Only a few Confederate revolvers had actual brass frames and the majority were in .36 caliber.