PDA

View Full Version : New/replacement barrels

Night Raider
09-19-2011, 10:56 PM
Where is a good place to buy a new, or replacement, barrel for a Zouave? Are there websites I could visit for info? If I was to buy a barrel would I be responsible for fitting it in place? Thanks.

Southron Sr.
09-19-2011, 11:54 PM
Dixie Gun Works sells an Italian made replacement barrel for the Zouave.

You can also check with the custom barrel makers such Whitacre Machine Shop.

You can "Google" both websites.

ms3635v
09-20-2011, 06:10 AM
I just installled a Whitacre barrel (bore diameter .577) in my Zoli Zouave (70's era rifle) and couldn't be happier with the way it shoots. After sighting it in, I fired a three shot group from the bench and the group measured 1 1/2 inches with the shots hitting the X-ring at about 2 o'clock. The RCBS 500M minie and 45 grains of powder is the perfeect load for this particular rifle. Now I can't can't wait to shoot it at the Nationals.

John Holland
09-20-2011, 09:50 AM
Night Raider -

Some years ago I ordered a replacement barrel from Dan Whitacre for a fairly rare musket so my wife could shoot it in the N-SSA. I gave Dan the dimensions over the phone and picked it up 3 weeks later at the Nationals in Winchester. It was a drop-in fit!

JDH

Night Raider
09-20-2011, 11:32 AM
Thanks everyone for the tips and testimonials. I'll give these places a visit online.

Eggman
09-20-2011, 11:45 AM
I just got to say I was frustrated with my Zoli until I went to the Lyman .575 wadcutter mini ahead of 50 grains of powder. All has been roses ever since, except when Moon Pie Jackson told me I was taking too long to pour my powder. Us mountain folks are always taking abuse like that. See the Tucker and Dave vs. Evil Red Band trailer on UTube.

RaiderANV
09-20-2011, 12:09 PM
HUGE PLUS for Dan Whitacre also!