PDA

View Full Version : J W Lamb Musket

Michael Harper 38th NC
01-13-2009, 06:11 PM
I am trying to help a friend with a musket he owns made by J W Lamb in Jamestown, NC. The gun was made in 1877, has heavy octagon barrel, approx .36 caliber. Any additional information about Lamb or who /where to check on the value range of this musket would be appreciated.

John Gross
01-13-2009, 06:26 PM
The Lamb family of gunsmiths are well known, and were a supplier of arms to the Confederacy during the Civil War. There is a book on NC gunsmiths, but I don't know the title offhand (probably "Gunsmiths of NC" :lol: )

You can also check THE GUN REPORT, "Lamb Family Gunsmiths", January, 1994, and NORTH SOUTH TRADER'S CIVIL WAR, "H. C. Lamp: North Carolina Supplier", January/February, 1979.

Not to nitpick, but with an octagon barrel and .36 caliber, your rifle should not properly be termed a "musket".

Value would depend upon artistic merit (inlays, engraving, carving, etc.) and condition.

John Gross

I am trying to help a friend with a musket he owns made by J W Lamb in Jamestown, NC. The gun was made in 1877, has heavy octagon barrel, approx .36 caliber. Any additional information about Lamb or who /where to check on the value range of this musket would be appreciated.

Jerry Ward
01-14-2009, 08:26 AM
Michael,

Your friend may contact a curator at the GSO city museum and pick his brain. They have an extensive collection of confederate arms (Murphy Collection), and also collected information on gunsmiths of the area.

The arms are still on display, but hidden behind the Woolworth's counter and the "civil rights" display :roll:

Here's a link http://www.greensborohistory.org/general.htm